Hunger Pangs - Right From The Beginning

wynter57
on 10/7/11 8:51 am - Panama City, FL
Ok, I've read a lot of posts today that talk about not having an appetite or feeling hungry till like two months out or five months out, etc.

I am starting to fee like a freak, lol!! When I was still in the hospital, I felt hunger pangs and I know it was not head hunger. Head hunger to me feels like if I see someone eating something that looks good to me, then I might think that I wish I could eat that.

But I have felt real hunger pangs. I have always been a person who wakes up hungry. When I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is take my vitamins and meds with some water. I then immediately have the sensation in my stomach (feels exactly the same as hunger pangs pre-surgery) and as soon as I eat something it goes away. 

I've seen written on here many times that folks will say that the hunger pangs really mean you are thirsty (when you are early out), but I've not had that experience. I have experimented with the drinking a lot of water to see if the hunger pangs subside, but they don't, not until I eat food.

I am just about 7 weeks out. I've also been blessed with no nausea, and only threw up a bite or two of food a couple of times because I did not chew it enough, but that's not nausea.

I know, I know that I know that we aren't all the same and we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to others, I just can't understand how I seem to be so different than the majority of other people (the ones that post anyway).

Please let me know if I am not alone in this!

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

glzgowlass
on 10/7/11 9:10 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
You are not alone.  I'm not like you in the am, but I do get hunger pangs.  Look on the bright side, we get to deal with this challenge (which is going to come along sooner or later)  early.  We learn to deal with it earlier when it is maybe easier to deal with?  That's what I tell myself anyway.

I had some baby food on hand and if I felt hungry I would eat that.  It would usually make the hunger subside. And only someone with real hunger would eat that stuff!

I was just saying in another post, (to someone who doesn't get hungry) that someone brought fast food into the floor the bariatrics was on and the smell made my mouth water!  I don't even eat fast food, but the smell......I felt like death, but I still had a pavlovian response to the food.  In that case it was all head hunger but still. 

I can easily eat my 4 tablespoons of food for meals (I'm only 3 weeks out)  They aren't level Tablespoons either.  Haven't thrown up yet or felt sick. 

Rest assured you are not alone.  My tastes haven't changed either and I feel alone in that b/c it seems everyone else's tastes changed somehow.  So far, not for me.  

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

exohexoh
on 10/9/11 2:46 pm - West Chester, PA
 my taste changed very little, and it wasn't until i was a few months out

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

lilbear412
on 10/7/11 9:50 am - MN
 Well just so the two of you know.....lol i feel hunger right now at 6:44 pm ct.  my stomach hasn't started growling yet but it will do that.  Soon.  I want to eat though and i am hungry.   I seem to not get real hungry in the morning or lunch but night time i am hungry.  I also seem to be able to eat more than the 1/4 cup i am suppose to at night.    so i don't think either of you are alone in this.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

glzgowlass
on 10/7/11 10:02 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
See that's EXACTLY what I'm like! 

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

rbb825
on 10/8/11 4:30 pm - Suffern, NY
Are you only eating 1/4 cup 3 times per day?  If so, that is why you are hungry - that isn't enough food.  You should be eating 5 or 6 times per day - every 2 to 3 hours, this helps keep your metabolism at is optimum, maintains a constant blood sugar, no rapid ups and downs, and it decreases hunger.  Ultimately you will lose more weight this weight.  By only eating 3 times per day, you eat less but it puts your body in starvation mode slowing down your metabolism.  Try eat 5 or 6 small meals - 2 ounces (1/4cup) at a time and see what happens. I bet your hunger will go away and you will still lose weight and probably more than you have been

lilbear412
on 10/9/11 4:44 am - MN
 I am going to try this.  I think your all right about the eating 5 or 6 times a day.  I was told 3 meals a day and NO snacks andi always thought that was a bit hokey.  And i feel guilty eating more than the 1/4 cup but i am hungry.  Its not like i am eating a cup a meal.  And i am suppose to drink 3 milks a day and i can't.  but i can do cheese or cottage cheese or any other high protein snack and get more protein in instead of struggling to get in a bit of protein.  thanks for the advice i think i will try it. 

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

rbb825
on 10/9/11 12:58 pm - Suffern, NY
3 milks per day?  That is alot of calories for just liquids.  you are better off using the calories for proteins - you can use it for dairy - like you said cheeses, cottage cheese and yogurt but limit the milks to your protein shakes.  You shouldn't be drinking calories other than your shakes.

mermaidoz
on 10/7/11 10:42 am - Canada
My tastebuds NEVER changed even in the Ketosis stage of post surgery weight loss...maybe I wasn't deep into ketosis as my weightloss was terribly slow ( maybebecause of my age as i was 62 at time of surgery)....I had real hunger pangs ( the pain and hollowness of hunger in your stomach) about 2 weeks post surgery...I have controlled it ( not the huge hunger pains as when I was on diets before WLS) by eating a Baby Bell Light or two every 2 hours...it helps me now...I can get quite hungry, but find a small amount of food helps control it (compared to before WLS when I would eat a lot more to kill the hunger, so the surgery is working...wi**** would work better!)
lilbear412
on 10/7/11 10:55 am - MN
 oh yeah and i am not suppose to eat any snacks just 3 meals a day but when the day is long or the night is long i will also eat a baby bel or some string cheese or something and i do find that drinking helps me at least during the day.  Drinking WATER that is..haha..

Most Active
Recent Topics