Surgery scheduled for Oct 24, questions....

aesposito
on 10/12/11 3:00 am
I have lots of random, stupid (to me) questions as my surgery date approaches.  I asked the RN coordinator some of them, and plan to ask the surgeon more of them on Friday when I meet with him again, but I thought I'd get your take on some of them as well.

1. With the puree diet, what would stop me from puree-ing a spinach leaf or two, or a pepper, or something in with the meat?  In other words, why only pureed protein the first few weeks post-op?  I'm not talking an entire veggie, just a tiny bit.

2. My surgeon uses silastic bands on his RNY pouches.  Do these have any give in them?  A few years down the road when I am ready to eat slightly more "normally" will this band prevent me from doing so?

3. Do surgeons routinely remove gall bladders, fix hernias, etc while in there if they find a problem?  I assume you have to sign something ahead of time...

4. The doctor's office gave me some of their special bariatric vitamins to take before and after surgery.  But after reading the label, I have to admit I'm not overly impressed... for example they include Magnesium Oxide, which is not as readily bio-available as other forms of Magnesium (although it's a great laxative) and also some weight loss-type herbs, supplements etc.  Are there better brands out there?

5. The doctor's office also recommends taking co-enzyme Q10 to help with the healing process.  If this stuff is so great, why isn't it included in the vitamin mix they gave me?  What's the real scoop on this?

I feel like an idiot asking these, and like I said I have also directed them to the appropriate people in my surgeon's office, but I want as many perspectives as possible.  I am INCREDIBLY nervous and scared as my surgery date approaches, and my reaction to things like that is often over-education, LOL.

Thanks,
Audrey
poet_kelly
on 10/12/11 3:07 am - OH
1.  I see no reason to avoid adding small amounts of veggies or other things to your puree food for favor.  You could ask your doc or dietician why they advise against it, but I can't think of a good reason for it.

2.  I don't know much about the band.  I think they normally use it on the stoma, the opening between the pouch and small intestine, not the pouch itself.

3.  I don't know.

4.  What brand of vitamins did they give you?  Some good brands include Bariatric Advantage, Celebrate, and Centrum.  Anything with 100% of the RDA of most things in it is fine.  Then take two a day.

5.  I don't know.

Good luck with your surgery!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ramie A.
on 10/12/11 4:11 am - Bronx, New York, NY
1.  In addition to what Kelly has said, the only possible reason to exclude all vegetables is that when you're only eating two tablespoons, you want to get in as much protein as possible and those vegies take up room.  However, I wouldn't pick every single last bit out of the soup or whatever.  If there's a little in there, no big deal.  At the very earliest stages, just don't ADD them on your own.

2.  I don't know.

3.  I think it depends on lots of things whether they fix hernias and remove gallbladders, etc.  I read on here that someone was going from lap band to RNY and there was so much scar tissue that the surgery took 5 hours, so they didn't have time to fix her hernia.  Also, not everyone needs her gallbladder out.  I asked for an ultrasound of mine preop and doc said that if it looked sludgy or I had stones, then he would remove it.  Luckily it looked fine.

4.  Ditto Kelly.

5.  I don't know either, although my gut reaction is that Q10 is quite expensive and probably won't do anything significant to help your healing.  It might subtly enhance the skin (or whatever it does) but it's not gonna help the scars.  Only time does that.

Good luck to you!  Keep posting questions, none are stupid!
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

aesposito
on 10/12/11 4:28 am
The vitamin brand, fyi, is one of those brands that lets the doctor's office put their own label on it (http://bmisurgery.org/_live/index.php?ID=vitaminsminerals) so I don't really know who makes them.....

Audrey
jazzycatz
on 10/12/11 5:27 am - Joppa, MD
I have done some reading on coenzyme Q10.  It's found in every cell of your body and your body uses it to produce energy to help with cell growth and maintenance. 

But the most important thing for you to know is that it is fat soluble.  We don't do good with those, especially in the beginning when you are really not absorbing much fat. 

I have only found them in those little football shaped caps filled with oil.  No point in taking those.  If you find them in tablets then you might consider them but I don't know that they will actually do you any good. 
LadyOnna
on 10/12/11 7:19 am - IL
HI!!!!!  Dr Joyce is my Dr too!!!!!!!!!!!   First of all let me tell you that his post op diet regimen is COMPLETELY different from almost everyone I have spoken to here and on other forums.  They are strictly protein protein protein until 8 weeks in...then you can add some veggies.  And no fruits until I believe 16 weeks in....I had my surgery on August 29th ....they will harp and harp...protein protein protein only and 64 oz of water/liquids daily!!   Cherish is wonderful and got me through some rough times.....but like I said before....I see what everyone else seems to be able to eat here and our post op regimen is nowhere near theirs. Meat, eggs, fish and cheese...that's it.  I think its a harder regimen to follow...but the weight seems to drop off a bit more rapidly....send me a private message where you live and so on....I will be 8 weeks ahead of you but maybe I can help support you!!!!!!
JoDonna
LadyOnna
on 10/12/11 7:25 am - IL

Each Dr has a reason for doing things the way they do them....follow them to the best of your ability but definitely ask him they why's you need answers to!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 115 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?