HypoThyroid anyone??????

Angela R.
on 11/4/11 1:40 am - Jewett City, CT
I am so confused.. I was put in the hospital 2 days ago because I have AF... And they found out that I have Hypothyroid.. Which slows everything down.  They said even though I have it my levels are great.. They said my thyroid is pushing working over time to make everything work.. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with my weight loss.. I have not lost anything in over 4 months.. Very frustrated...
Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

T. Deeds
on 11/4/11 1:55 am
I have hypothyroidism and yes is can cause weight gain or slow weight loss.  It causes fatigue, depression-like symptoms, and can even cause your period to stop.  It's really easy and reletively inexpensive to treat and the medication is effective.  You might have to do some playing around with the dosage, until you find what works for you.  I suggest that you do research on hypothryoidism and educate yourself on the subject, because there are different schools of thought on what normal thyroid levels are and what appropriate treatments are. 

waitingtoexhale69
on 11/4/11 2:14 am - IL
Whats AF?  iS That atrial fibrilation?  I can imagin you would be frustrated.  I know that with hypothyroidism everything is slowed down, but i don't know if it will effect your weight loss to that extent.  Could you ask your surgeon and endocrinologist? I also have hypothyroidism and would like to know the answer for myself as well.

Paula F.
on 11/4/11 8:39 am - Rochester Hills , MI
I am hypothyroid also.  I have not had AF, but I am not as far along in my journey as you are.  It may or not be linked to your weight loss.  I would try to educate myself with everything I can get my hands on. 

I learned alot from Mary Shomon's thryroid site on About.com many years ago.  There were forums there similar to hear.  Mary is also on Facebook and you could contact her directly. 

I think one of the biggest struggles I faced prior to WLS for many years was to find a Dr. that would put me on the right dose of meds for me, not just look at lab numbers.  Thankfully, I found a Dr. like that and have been very happy since.

By the way, I don't take a synthetic thyroid med e.g. Synthroid.  I take a natural thyroid replacement hormone called Armour and it has worked very well for me.  Don't let docs tell you it isn't a good med because they have been taken in by Synthroid marketing.  Some people, like me, need the natural version as it contains hormones Synthroid doesn't and my body can't convert the synthetic version.  I am not against Synthroid, if it works for someone great.  It just doesn't for me.

Also, don't let them tell you it is hard to get.  It is not, I can get it at my local pharmacy and even at Costco.

I hope you find the solution to your problem quickly and are feeling better soon.  Your thyroid affects the function of your entire body and it is important to have your levels optimal.

Paula
Angela R.
on 11/4/11 12:22 pm - Jewett City, CT
Thank you all so much.. I'm going to check out the website and also my doctor of course..
Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 1:37 pm
I second the note on Armour.  You really have to play around with the different meds until you find the right one for you.  I've been on Synthyroid, Levoxyl and Armour at some time in the past nine years.  The best I've felt is when I've been on Armour.  Any actually, my doctor put me on both ARmour AND Synthroid and I have never felt better (also could be because I had RNY three months ago!).  Another trick is to take the brand names and not the generic.  I've experimented with that too. 

Good luck with your journey because it will always be a journey!  
Ding-E-Girl
on 11/4/11 2:01 pm - MS
    I am hypothyroid also and take Armour (3 grains)   My levels never would get right so I found a dr that prescribes armour and have normal ever since  lol     I still have a hard time losing weight but Id probably have a hard time losing weight even if I were HYPERthyrod lol 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/4/11 2:47 pm - OH
As long as your levels are "great", your thyroid condition should not affect your weight loss.  It is only when your levels are out of whack that it causes weight gain (or loss).  I have been on Synthroid for YEARS (after having Graves Disease and the thyroid oblation w/radioactive iodine in 1989).

I did not look at how far you are out from your WLS, but there are a couple of things that could be going on as far as the lack of weight loss depending on where you are at post-op.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apple1975
on 11/4/11 11:03 pm
I am not exactly sure what AF is. I am hypothyroid. Well actually I had to have a total thyroidectomy. I had large masses on both the left and the right side and thyroid cancer runs in my family. With Hurtle cell changes...removal was the safest option for me. I had steadily gained weight for 8 years. I had several symptoms and finally of all people, my gynocologist found it! I feel great now that my levels are good. I take levothyroxine, but would love to add Cytomel (sp?). It is suppose to help with weight loss and build muscle. I was really worried RNY could not help because of my hypothyroid condition. But, so far so good. I am still only 3 &1/2 months out though. Good luck dear. I hope that you quickly recover and I am so sorry that you have to go through thyroid hell with the rest of us. There are support groups with people suffering from this. This most imortant thing.... Take your medicine everyday! 4 hours before your vitamans and on a empty stomach.

255/160/140  *first goal reached 1/14/12     Phillipians 4:13
ativar
on 11/5/11 10:16 am
 I am hypothyroid. I am on Eutirox. It is a biatch. I hate being hypothyroid. I am going to have to reschedule an appoitment with my doctor and tell him that things just isnt working out for me and something else needs to be done because I absolutely cannot handle this anymore. I am convinced the meds arent working for me!

My hair is dropping at an alarming rate. I went to the hair salon recently and the guy there even commented on it - more than once! He was totally shocked to see how much was dropping off, it is actually dropping off in clumps! When I wash my hair my entire bathroom is filled with hair and I have to remove it or it will clog the bathroom

And i do not know whether this has anything to do with me being hypothyroid but I feel really tired all the time, and depressed too. I feel as though my bones ache. especially my upper arms and my thighs. It actually feels as though the bone itself is aching, not muscle pain like what you get when you go to the gym but like actual bone pain.

My mum had an appt to see the doc coz she is hypothyroid as well and I told her to mention the hair loss coz that was all I was experiencing at the time, and all he said was "tell her it will grow back" I was like u have to be kidding me! He did not just say that! Ugh. And now my mum says that i am on 50mcg and she says she thinks that is the highest dose of eutirox that can be given, coz she thinks he told her that one time when she had now began treatment. I am on that, and let me tell u, IT IS NOT WORKING. It has to change, something needs to change, either my meds or my doc. Coz this is unbearable now.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 279 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?