What the hell was that?!

aesposito
on 11/6/11 11:47 am
 Started soft proteins today, took a few bites og ground beef...and a few minutes later I literally thought I was going to die. Stomach pain, chest pain, like it was stuck or something. I actually prayed to vomit...the pain came in incredible waves. Ended about a half hour later.

Not sure if bites were too big, meat not moist enough, too much grisle and fat not chewed up enough...but I never ever want to feel that way again, ever!

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

hlacy
on 11/6/11 11:54 am - Chandler, AZ
Many people have trouble with beef early out, and some can never eat it. On my plan, we could not have beef until we were two months out. Have you tried ground turkey and chicken yet? 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

BugdocMom
on 11/6/11 11:58 am - CA
Awww...I'm sorry that happened on your first try. It sucks. The first time it happened to me, I thought I was having a heart attack. Then I barfed up the meat and felt instant relief...

It could have been any of the things you listed: bite too big, didn't chew enough, ate too fast, or your pouch just doesn't like ground beef. I would wait a while before trying ground beef again and make sure there's a sauce to keep it moist.

We never know what will be accepted by our pouches. For a long time, medium rare steak was the only real meat I could eat. Strange because beef usually is the last thing our pouches accept and I HATED steak prior to surgery. I still can't do scrambled eggs, and I no longer LIKE ground beef which I used to eat several times a week before surgery. Go slow and introduce your meats one at a time, make sure to eat slowly, take small bites, and chew chew chew! I would also recommend adding a low sugar low fat sauce the first time to keep it moist.

stlfocus
on 11/6/11 11:59 am - IA
Sounds like it got stuck presumably because you did not chew well enough. I did that with fish, and OMG I felt like I had swallowed a bowling ball. If I had not seen a friend go through this before, I would have been sure I was having a heart attack.

hlacy
on 11/6/11 12:02 pm - Chandler, AZ
Fish was also my first food that ever got stuck and gave me the foamies - some delicious sashimi. I suspect I ate it too fast, because it was SOOOO good. That pain was horrible! I carry papaya enzymes with me now at all times.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Dave Chambers
on 11/6/11 12:11 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Beef and pork tend to be hard to digest foods. Most surgeon's don' recommend you eat those foods until 5-6 months out.  Only people I know that had any kind of beef early, were those that had chili. Try beef again in a few months. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

missjann
on 11/6/11 12:58 pm
Sorry that happened....sounds awful!  I had a similar episode only for hours
on chicken that I swear I chewed until it was liquid.  I only tried chicken
again at about 9 months out and am okay with it now.  I mostly eat ground
meats and very moist fish.  I might recommend that you wait and try
ground beef again in a couple of months.
    Jan

Momx4kids
on 11/6/11 6:24 pm, edited 11/6/11 6:27 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
That happened to me when I introduced chicken!(at 3 1/2 months that happened to me in a restaurant, really sucked!!) I am looking at your surgery date and I think you are trying it a bit too early. I did not have any meat till about 6 weeks out. The meat tends to fill my stomach fast so it is very possible you had too much. Wait at least another 4-5 weeks and try again. I only had beef in chilli. I suggest when you start to introduce solid proteins, I would try chicken and fish, for me they have been easier, the red meats like steak, beef wait a bit longer. I also found hard boiled egg was easier than poached or scrambled. Also cottage cheese was a soft protein I stuck to till my stomach could tollerate more.
Rhonda

Laura in Texas
on 11/6/11 6:40 pm
Just take it easy. I think you should stay away from beef for a while. I do not think I even attempted it until I was several months out.

Laura

PS I noticed our starting stats were almost exactly the same (my highest weight was 339 and my surgery weight was 311)

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

aesposito
on 11/6/11 9:36 pm
 Hi Laura,

Yes we are practically rny sisters lol!  Although my doc was a tall skinny beanpole, nothing like Dr Garth.

The overriding message I am getting here is stay away from ground beef for a few months. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?