Post -op visit today

summerjay
on 11/7/11 6:46 am - PA
First my good news, I have lost 19lbs in 12 days!! Now the bad news, he really got on me about my protein, which I expected. I have been doing terrible in that department. One of my incisions did not heal yet, (had to leave the steri strips on). He told me protein heals wounds, as well as builds muscle, so I HAVE to get in 60-80 daily!! I'm doing great with my fluids, and was moved on to pureed so I have a little more options now. The nut. also said I should be eating 5-6 times a day, and should only be using protein shakes as a snack and no more than twice daily. I think I found something I can tolerate, I mixed a container of greek yogurt (19 grms), 8 oz. milk (10 grms), and a scoop of protein powder (24 grms) in a blender. It was ok, didn't make me gag and I've been sipping on it for the last hr. 53 grms of protein when I fini****!!!! I'll drink another glass of milk or something to try and get 60!!!
cav
on 11/7/11 8:07 am - NC
cav
on 11/7/11 8:10 am - NC
Congratulations on wt loss! The protein is critical....have u tried body fortress protein shots...high protein, very low carb and small volume?
Donna D.
on 11/7/11 8:45 am - Cockeysville, MD
Hey girly I agree with Cav I use the body fortres it has a high volume of protien,in 1scoop(moore than some of the other protiens), MY NUT recommended, it doesn't taste that bad, and it is inexspensive! You can get it at Walmart , and I did hear that the shots was good too, you get aalot in a small dose! Goood luck and Congrats on the weight loss!

HW:338  SW:316 CW:203 GW:190 MY HT IS 5"11"

Paula F.
on 11/7/11 10:10 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Not sure what your surgeon recommends, but mine recommended looking for whey protein isolate.  Some of the less expensive proteins have whey protein concentrate in them and aren't as ideal.  Unjury protein powders, Jay Robb, and Isopure low carb powders are all 100% isolate.  Unjury is ordered online and I can get Jay Robb at Kroger and Vitamin Shoppe and Isopure low carb at Vitamin Shoppe.  I only suggest that since you are having healing issues.

Perhaps when you are a bit further out you could discuss moving on to other powders with your doc.

I love homeade protein smoothies.  My fav lately tastes like a frozen York Peppermint Patty

In blender combine:
2 ****
fill to top of ice with skim milk (about a cup) (8gm protein)
splash of each Torani SF chocolate and peppermint syrup
1 Tbs. unsweetened baking cocoa for extra chocolate flavor
2 scoops chocolate protein powder (50 grams if Jay Robb or Isopure low carb powder)
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract

I LOVE IT and have one every morning!!!!  58 grams of protein and a nice pick me up in the morning.  The cold feels good on my pouch too.  If you don't have the SF syrups, I am sure it would still taste just as good with the baking cocoa and peppermint extract.

Best of luck to you in healing quickly and enjoying your road to success,
Paula

summerjay
on 11/8/11 1:07 am - PA
That recipe sounds good!!! Next on my list to try, and 58 gms of protein WOOHOO!!!! Thanks for the suggestion.
Paula F.
on 11/8/11 8:28 pm - Rochester Hills , MI
You're welcome!  I also make one that tastes like an Almond Joy.  Instead of peppermint, I use coconut extract and syrup and a TBS of Almond Butter.  Don't know the protein count off of the top of my head, but I think it's around 8 gms.  So that smoothie would be 64gms of protein.

I'm drinking my peppermint patty as I post this :o)
Paula
cav
on 11/8/11 10:16 am - NC
 That recipe sounds very good!

Ramie A.
on 11/7/11 11:46 pm - Bronx, New York, NY
Please check the ingredients in those protein shots.  If they are collagen, then you are not getting your protein in because RNYers do not absorb collagen.
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

cav
on 11/8/11 10:20 am - NC
 Thank you for info...the power shot is collegenase protein... It was on my md's list but am going to double check...important info!

Most Active
Recent Topics