Should I eat if I'm not hungry?

Lori O.
on 11/7/11 8:36 am - NC
 I'm on day 3 of my post-op full liquid diet.  I have felt satisfied all day--full, but not overly so.  I only "ate" 267 calories/ 20 grams of protein and drank 24 oz of water (still sipping  . . .)

Should I try to make myself eat another small amount before going to bed tonight--or not worry about it?  
 Lori O.

Amber J.
on 11/7/11 8:40 am - Kirkland, WA
During your surgery they cut the nerves that inform you whether you're hungry or full. It's important that you try and eat measured amounts and it helps to eat on a schedule. Hope that helps. :)

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Momx4kids
on 11/7/11 5:54 pm - Abbotsford, Canada

Actually our stomachs produce a hormone called Ghrelin, and with RnY surgery, we have the majority of our ghrelin-producing tissue removed (Ghrelin stimulates hunger). Ghrelin is produced in the fundus/lining of our stomach. Our ghrelin level has been reduced due to the surgery. For some people their body will, after a period of time, start producing the hormone again and they will start getting that hunger feeling coming back, and for others it never produces at a level to let them feel hungry again.
Rhonda

on 11/7/11 8:42 am - OR
Yes, you need more than 20G of protein. I too struggle with this still! I am never hungry, I am 4 months out and have felt actual hunger I think once since surgery.  So yes, now is a great time to get on a schedule for getting your protein in and do it!  You need the protein

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/7/11 8:44 am
Absolutely.  Goal is to try to get 60-80 gr proteins per day.   You do not want to get depleted. Proteins are important for healing, hair and muscles.  If you do not get enough proteins - the body will start breaking down your own muscles. So instead of losing mostly fat ... you will be losing some fat and lots of muscles.  Heart is a big muscle...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lori O.
on 11/7/11 8:50 am - NC
 What types of things could I eat to up my protein intake on a full liquid diet other than protein shakes?  I read a review about an unflavored protein powder (Unjury, I believe) but wondered how it would taste in soup and yogurt?  I tried drinking some "protein water" yesterday but it didn't sit well!
 Lori O.

Sara L.
on 11/7/11 9:12 am
I relied on the unjury unflavored to get my protein in at first.  I mixed it with yogurt and soup, it completely dissolved. 
I did mix it into the soup or yogurt in one bowl and then poured it into a serving dish after thoroughly mixing it up.  Sometimes there would be a little dusting of protein around the edges that bugged my sense of smell.  Once I poured it into another bowl, the smell went away. 
I'm not wild about protein water, the texture is wierd to me.  I use Jay Robb Chocolate, Nectar Cappuccino, Unjury unflavored and Unjury chicken soup. 
Greek yogurt has lots of protein, I buy the non fat plain yogurt and add my own flavoring.  I have stirred in a variety of sugar free pudding mixes....just a spoonful per serving, with a little skim milk to keep it from being too thick and some Unjury unflavored protein to jack up the protein count.
You should keep trying different protein powders too, everyone's tastes are different.  I bought a bunch of samples from vitalady before ordering the larger tubs, best advice I had pre-op!!
Sara in Maui

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/7/11 9:15 am
At this point you need to consider the proteins is a medicine you need.
I use shakes, and I looked and looked and found some protein powders that I could tolerate.
i add them to yogurt (Greek yogurt - plain 0% or 2%) I add some proteins to my soups.
I also drank some Isopure fruity drinks.  I did not like them, but adding some ice, or even water, or hot tea, whatever works...
I really never cared for the unflavored proteins - unless I added that to my baking goods. (muffins, etc. )
That protein still have smell... and early post op - I had to pinch my nose so many time to be able to drink that.  Whatever works. Eventually gets better. 
Greek Yogurt, milk, adding some whey proteins to milk, etc.   
Trying to add just a little bit proteins to some soups...
At one time I was using decaf coffee and mixed protein and made protein coffee... You mix proteins in small amount of water... then add little bit of warm coffee ,...(tempering the proteins). Then you mix the rest.  It can even be warm a bit more in microwave.. But if it get s too hot - it will curdle.
You can also make protein ice cream - using eggface recipe and home ice cream maker... ice cream maker = $30,  lack of energy and slow healing - you can't pay enough to avoid that.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/
http://pimpmyproteinshake.blogspot.com/search/label/pumpkin
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/p/recipe-index.html

and so on.... recipe over recipes...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

gabbyabby
on 11/7/11 8:47 am
 Yes, you will need to try to get ur protien in, it is hard at first, but it will help you recover and start feeling like your old self.  

D-J
on 11/7/11 9:08 am
unlavored protien is just that"unflavored" you can put it in just about everything,,,and yes you should keep yourself on an eating schedule,,i had been eating three meals a day with a shake inbetween and that was not enough my doctor said after discovering a bleeding ulcer he said i needed to eat at least 6 times a day and not go so long in between meals without putting something in my pouch even if it was a bite or two of say.. cheese or jerky,,so yes it is important that you eat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views