TMI? Irritation in the hoo hoo region

aesposito
on 11/15/11 10:37 pm
As many obese people do I'm sure, I had major problems with stress incontinence.  As a result of the constant dampness I often had irritation in the creases "down there", sometimes to the point of not being able to sit comfortably.  I sometimes medicated them, sometimes used zinc powder, tried pads, etc.  Zinc powder was the biggest help but not always. 

The main culprit always seemed to be the seams in my underwear getting damp and irritating the area.

I figured losing weight would help.  And yes, losing 40+ pounds has already cured the stress incontinence 90 percent of the time, halleluah!  But for whatever reason, the irritation from my underwear seams has gotten worse, to the point where it causes me more pain/irritation than my surgery incisions.

I will be bringing this up with my doc again when I see him next month.  But in the meantime, anyone ever find anything to help this problem?  Different underwear? Different medication?

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

BeautifulCajun
on 11/15/11 11:00 pm - Evangeline , LA
I was going to suggest different panties! Or non at all when you can!

Good luck! Corn starch! That will work! Doctors use that for diaper rashes! to keep it dry and medicate! You'll be surprised and thank me!
aesposito
on 11/15/11 11:16 pm
Yes, different panties is a defininte option...I was thinking if they made boxer briefs for women, that would be great, as the seam would be much lower down on the leg...

Tried corn starch once, but it got worse.... apparently I had the beginnings of a yeast infection down there and it fed it unfortunately...

Audrey

poet_kelly
on 11/15/11 11:18 pm - OH
My stress incontinence is completely gone now that I've lost so much weight.  I hope you have the same result.

For now, this may seem like a goofy idea, but what if you didn't wear underwear?  But if you want to wear undies, have you looked to see if a different brand might have seams in different places or that aren't as big or something?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 11/15/11 11:21 pm
Going without would probably be best until you are 100% healed.  Try a lotrimin cream on the rash -- I'm guessing that it's yeast. 

My stress incontinence went away completely too -- hope you have the same results.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Sara L.
on 11/15/11 11:40 pm
What if you turned your underpants inside out? Then the rough part of the seam will be facing away from your skin.
You could also use a sanitary pad to absorb moisture and perspiration, with the added benefit of covering the seams of your underpants.
Good luck working it through!
Sara in Maui

murdockt
on 11/15/11 11:42 pm - Redmond, OR
Another person wrote on here that a product called Zeasorb helped her. I purchased it at Walmart and it is in powder form. She also stated that she also sprayed the area with athlete's foot spray in combination with Zeasorb. It works. It may be that you panties are too tight in the leg. Nystatin, helps also and it is a prescription from the doctor. Hope this helps. Rose
aesposito
on 11/16/11 1:01 am
Lots of nice ideas for me to try out here, thanks guys!

It also occurs to me that I got a lot of antibiotics while in the hospital which could have reactivated something down there, making it as bad or worse than when I was larger and still stress incontinent.

In any case, thanks!

Audrey

eunicemaythompson1

on 11/16/11 2:36 am - WA
its probably the elastic in them i had the same problem switched to fruit of the loom whic has no elastic in the leg area and it fixed problem
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 340 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 63 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?