food and calories

Kim2011
on 12/5/11 12:58 am - NC
Can someone please help me on what I am doing wrong!? My NUT said I should be eating 900 calories, no more then 100 carbs, 25 grams of fat, and 60-70 grams of protein.

I think that the carbs are too high and I can't reach that goal anyway. I am getting 70-90 grams of protein each day, and my fat ranges from 19-28, and my carbs 25-50. My average on calories each day has been 725-760.  She keeps telling me I should up my carbs to increase my calories but if I do that I don't get enough protein...

Also on the few times that my fat reached 28 grams will that mess up my weight loss?

Thanks!

Frances S.
on 12/5/11 1:00 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 It would be helpful if you could post what you're eating each day.  You can easily up your carbs and get protein at the same time by eating nonfat greek yogurt or drinking milk.
Frances S.
on 12/5/11 1:01 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I also want to applaud your NUT for recognizing and encouraging you that you do need carbs in your diet.  100 grams of carbs is not all that unattainable, especially if you've got dairy in your diet.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/5/11 1:02 am - Baltimore, MD
NUTS...they are nuts!

To me it sounds like you are just fine where you are. Your carbs could probably stand to be a bit higher, especially if you're working out. Dairy has both carbs AND protein, so if you incorporate some cheese or milk or cottage cheese in your day that would probably work well.

The fat. We malabsorp fat, especially in the beginning so I have no idea why anyone would encourage you to worry about fat. I'm 4 years out and I STILL malabsorb fat (you don't want to know how I know this). Focus on eating good, solid food. Good fats that are beneficial. Your system will take care of the rest.

I don't understand nutritionists sometimes. I think some of them just don't come from the bariatric world and fall back on traditional dieting advice.
Kim2011
on 12/5/11 1:21 am - NC
So do you think I should stop doing the calorie countdown milk and just get plain old skim milk? Would that make a difference?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/5/11 3:13 am - Baltimore, MD

Look at you! I feel this totally unwarranted sense of pride in how YOU are eating. Did you lurk the boards before surgery or something. You are like the most well-adjusted newbie I’ve ever met.

If you genuinely like the Hood, there is no harm in sticking with it. If you are simply drinking it to lessen your carbs, I’d say you can try skim, provided you don’t have lactose issues.

Geez…I wanna go brag on you. You really are doing a stellar job. Tell your NUT to shut it!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Kim2011
on 12/5/11 4:06 am - NC
LOL!! Thanks :-)

I was a lurker! I like the Hood chocolate milk but I will try adding plain skim milk to shakes to get in the extra carbs and stuff.

I really like your blog! I came across it last week and bookmarked it. Yesterday my husband wanted chicken parm for dinner so I said I would make it in the crock pot. I pulled out some bread crumbs and then put them back. I thought what a second I could make this even better for me! I took out some of my special K protein cereal and mashed them up to make protein crumbs!:-)

Kim2011
on 12/5/11 1:18 am - NC
Todays plan:
B: eggbeaters, cottage cheese, laughing cow light cheese, ketchup
calories 126, carbs 7, fat 3, protein 16

s- turkey breast, string cheese light
cal 120, carb 1, fat 4, protein 20

L- .5 sandwich thin, prego sauce, light cheese, string beans
cal 103, carb 15, fat 2, protein 8

s- choc. protein powder. pb2, calorie countdown milk
cal 245, carb 12, fat 10, protein 32

d- salsa chicken, brocoli
cal 87, carb 4, fat 2, pro 12

s- choc calorie countdown
cal 80, carb 6, fat 5, pro 6
totals: cal 761, carbs 45, fat 26, pro 94

cajungirl
on 12/5/11 1:53 am
Looking at your menu for today I personally for me wouldn't change anything except maybe go with full fat cheese instead of light/low fat.  As for 2% milk for the calorie countdown, you can try that but be careful the milk doesn't cause you lactose problems.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

macjuicy
on 12/5/11 2:24 am - FL
My NUT makes me concentrate on Protein, Im at about 1000-1250 calories a day dependingon how im feeling then my 1 hour of excercising a day burns 250-300 of that. Def concentrate on Protein Excercise, fluids and make sure to watch your Sodium. and of course watch fat and sugar for dumping.

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Most Active
Recent Topics