Age and WLS

mpjones
on 1/20/12 3:05 am
Ok, I'm 67 years old and considering WLS--Doctor recommends the roux-n-y--I had thought about lap band but am changing that opinion. Anyhow reading on this forum I see a lot of younger people posting--is there any "golden-agers" out there that have had the surgery and did you experience anything different then these youngsters are posting about complications, outcomes, ect? Anything anyone can tell me will be GREATLY appreciated.--Thanks.
Brattiegirl
on 1/20/12 3:08 am - franklin, GA
i'm 51 and has just summitted to insurance company yesterday to get approval for the wls... i'm havin the   Roux-n-y gasteric bypass..... i've met all my requirements and waitin on approval now.... good luck and were never to old to wanta change our lifestyles for the better and to improve our health if possible......  Debbie
azreggie
on 1/20/12 3:18 am - Tucson, AZ
There is a "Over 50 Forum" check it out.

Reggie

Sunbunnyqt
on 1/20/12 3:20 am - FL
Hi,

I think is great you are looking into this life changing surgery.

There is a forum on here that is for over 50 but there are a lot of over 50 that use all the forums. Here is the link for the over 50 forum: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/over_50/

I personally did not think I wanted to have a foreign object in me and I had heard about all the problems with slipping and erosion of the bands. I also thought it would be a hassle to keep going in for fills and/or un-fills.

Good luck.
mpjones
on 1/20/12 3:29 am
Hey , thanks for the link--I didn't realize there was a forum for us "old folks"-lol. I haven't really explored this web site just this forum. I do appreicate the help.
dkasten
on 1/20/12 4:00 am - SD
I'm 63 and just had RNY Dec 12th. I didn't think it was that terribly traumatic. Sore a couple of days. Only took tylenol for one day after I got home.  Haven't had many problems since surgery and losing weight  and life is good. It's not "easy" but once you start it, there's no going back and I wouldn't want to! No regrets at all! I love being on the "losers bench" and feeling healthier every day. Go for it! There's plenty of "old-folks" as you call us on here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/20/12 4:10 am
Have you checked the sleeve? VSG?  that is restrictive only - no malabsorbtion WLS.  That may be best ... I know I would chose VSG if I can do it again... or start over...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BWB
on 1/20/12 4:23 am
I'm only 73 but had RNY at 72. I was concerned that Medicare would not cover my surgery but it did and my surgeon does it for even older seniors. I feel like I did in my 50's and am very active so I feel like my life has been extended.

mpjones
on 1/20/12 7:05 am
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to "lurk" on the over 50 forum to see if I can come up with more information for my age group.Do have to say this forum is excellent for getting information--learning more every day.
rangermike
on 1/20/12 12:17 pm
I was fortunate enough to talk to a guy that was 69 when he had the Roux-en-Y, he's now 81.  He has absolutely zero regrets.  He went from 380 to 200 and has stayed there.  He said he eats everything but sugar gives him the ****z so he uses Slenda in all the pastries he makes LOL.  They have 5 family members who have had it done (most of them over 10 years ago), and they have all done well and have NO regrets.

I'm 56 and having my surgery on Tuesday.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 369 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 253 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 174 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 310 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?