ugh stricture

jenfasano
on 1/27/12 9:03 pm - CT
I have been struggling to eat for 8 weeks now and im very week.  I thought i was doing something wrong and was regretting even getting the surgery!! came on here and no one had answers but eat slow and i was thinking but i  cant eat AT ALL!! I finally called my doc last night cause i know im dehydrated and week.  I explained my cir****tances and she said she thinks i have a stricture, which is common I guess.  I have too much scar tissue which closes the opening of where your food goes down.  I have to go monday and have a endoscopy and she will stretch it out .  I will finally be able to eat some food after 8 weeks of starving literally!!

Im just curious WHY no one else has talked of this on here if its so common??? I am so glad to find out things will get better for me soon i was so refretful i couldnt be happy that i have lost 50 pounds it was almost not worth it to me at all with how i feel physically.  Im a dummy and should have called the doc alot sooner!!!

so with all that said if your having trouble eating, cant keep stuff down or your sick to your stomach when you do eat?  CALL YOUR DOCTOR CAUSE ITS NOT NORMAL!!!

jen

_Donna_
on 1/27/12 9:08 pm
Strictures are talked about daily here, sorry you missed it.
Hope you feel better soon. Sometimes it takes several dialations to get it right.

RNY 5-5-2011

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/12 9:54 pm
Yes, it's a very simple procedure and the results are immediate.  I felt so much better after mine.  I couldn't even drink a teaspoon of water.  After the procedure, while in recovery, I was drinking...  It was awesome.  I only needed one dilation.  You never know...
GoldiesGirl
on 1/27/12 10:09 pm
Yep, strictures are talked about here all the time.  I don't want to come off like I'm lecturing, but you know from your research what the recovery and lifestyle of a post-op is like.  If you're experiencing anything that seems to deviate from that (and regretting that you had the surgery/feeling weak is definitely a deviation), you should ALWAYS call your Dr.  Sure it's great to come here for moral support, but if you know that something just isn't right (and not making you happy), forget about all of us and call the Dr.  :-)

Hope that once you get it taken care of you feel tons better!!  I had to go to a 3-hour patient education class before my surgery, and they told us about strictures.  I was so worried I'd get one, I remember thinking more than a few times that I thought I had one, then 10 minutes later I was fine.  

wendydettmer
on 1/27/12 10:33 pm - Rochester, NY
I'm sorry you are having such issues and I'm glad that the doctor is able to do something soon for you.

I agree though, they are talked about on here almost daily. If you feel there is a problem, it is ALWAYS important to call your doctor as opposed to relying on an internet forum. we're not doctors.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

lanagirl
on 1/28/12 1:20 am
I'm very surprised no one suggested it may be a stricture. Every day people post about having a hard time eating and the possibility of a stricture is almost always mentioned. Although it is usually more an issue of keeping the food down after eating. We talk about it on this board all the time, but if you ever have an issue again try searching in the search bar so even if it isn't on the first few pages you will find it. And of course don't ever wait 8 weeks before you let your Dr know something is wrong.

Mandy R.
on 1/28/12 10:37 am - Callahan, FL
I've posted several times about strictures.  I was diagnosed with one the week of Christmas and have had 2 dilations.  I went last week for a fluroscopy (upper GI) and it is still small.  I've been throwing up the last few days so I guess it's time for another dilation.  Good luck to you !  The endoscopy with dilation is simple and you will feel 100 percent better !
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/28/12 10:49 am - OH
 I am not sure how you missed all of them, but there is a post almost every single day about strictures.

Yes, you should have contacted your surgeon sooner.  Can I ask why you did not?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jenfasano
on 1/28/12 10:12 pm - CT
I dont know I thought i was doing something wrong I guess :( but trust me lesson learned!!  I feel horrible, I know im dehydrated and this was a horrible experience.  I was getting so regretful of even having surgery but now Im glad there is an easy fix !  I was honestly NEVER told of this and I dont know how i missed all the posts you all are talking about because i was going on every day to see if i could find what was wrong with me. I even posted a few posts of what was going on and no one said anything to me about a stricture???  Well im glad I know now.

jen
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 257 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views