What does hungry feel like?

nursechristi
on 2/2/12 10:08 am - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
 Hi there- I am 7 days out from RNY surgery. I know each doctor has different post op diet- mine doesn't want her patients to use protein shakes/supplements. So-stage 1 for me is supposed to last 7-14 days after surgery- clear liquids with no sugar (of course). I am supposed to move on to stage 2 when I start to feel hungry. 
I know this might sound odd- but what does hungry feel like? I know before surgery- I just ate whenever I felt like it. I know if I went too long without eating- I became irritable- I just chalked that up to low blood sugar levels (nope not diabetic-but ate constant carbs).
I haven't felt "overfull" with any of the fluids I have had. I feel possible stomach soreness (grumbling?)- but I am still sore from the surgery. 
I am probably overthinking this- but how do I know when I am hungry?
april89love
on 2/2/12 10:15 am - NC
I didn't feel hungry for months. I ate because I had to.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

nursechristi
on 2/2/12 12:48 pm - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
So did you advance your diet on a timeline?

april89love
on 2/2/12 12:52 pm - NC
I was on pureed food from week 3-6. Then soft or could cut with a knife foods. Nothing was really good until I got past the pureed stuff. First regular dinner was meatloaf and it was good. I measured my food for the first 6 months then eye balled it.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Keeves
on 2/2/12 10:33 am - Elizabeth, NJ
You're not overthinking it at all. We have new digestive systems, and -- exactly like a baby -- it will take time to learn how it works. My first week or two after surgery, I kept saying, "I can't tell whether this sensation is telling me that I'm hungry, or that I'm stuffed, or if it is just normal healing pains."

This is why it is particularly important to follow your surgeon's guidelines on what, when, and how much to eat. Make sure to eat enough for nutrition, without overdoing it. Better to eat too little than too much, as long as you are eating something, and don't worry.

My guess is that with time, you'll learn to sort these sensations out. This will be easier if you try to pay attention to the signals.

In my experience, hungry and full feel the same now as before surgery, except that one mouthful can make the difference between "I still need a little more food" and "OMG I really overdid this", so I have to be very careful, with small bites and eating slowly, trying to stay very aware of the signals.

But I may be in the minority on this. Keep reading this forum, and you'll find a surprising number of people *****port that they stop eating when their nose starts running, as that is the "full" signal that their bodies are now giving. And other people have other signs.

(Just another example of what I mean when I say that people who think surgery is "the easy way" to lose weight are very uninformed.)

nursechristi
on 2/2/12 12:46 pm - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
 Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate all of the info. I figure if I don't feel definite hunger pangs- I'll stay on the clear liquids. My first follow up is on 2-14-12. 
Congrats on your weight loss Keeves!

Jamie M.
on 2/2/12 1:44 pm
I'm not entirely sure. I'm 5 months out and still not feeling any hunger!
Kelly L.
on 2/2/12 2:42 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 Such a good question... but I can't even begin to make a suggestion. I am 3 1/2 months out... still no hunger. I hope It NEVER comes back either lol. I have a good freind that is 18 months out and he still isn't hungry. I wish you the best of luck with your journey 

HW 274. CW 129

kipz303
on 2/2/12 4:19 pm
I'm 16 months out and still dont notice "hunger".  I get busy and forget I need to eat - I'll start to get shakey (I have low blood sugars as well as reactive hypoglycemia)  I really wish I could have a physical sign to tell me when I was hungry BEFORE it's too late and I start getting shakey or dizzy.  

I can tell you that when I'm finally full I get the hiccups ..just one or two but I don't get them if food is stuck or if I was stupid and ate too much bread..its weird *my* hiccups are only when I'm properly full. Note: hiccups hurt like heck for me still! I also do NOT reccommend waiting till your shakey or dizzy - I just cant tell before then. ...like right now I am getting shakey and just ate 2 hours ago - it sucks, my surgery worked TOO well but it's better than being 440 lbs in my book.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

nursechristi
on 2/3/12 12:10 am - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
WOW! You only have 2 lbs to goal! Yeah! That is so inspiring and must feel great!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 238 views
Recent Topics