Accidental Jogger?

JerseyJim
on 2/3/12 10:58 am - Sayre, PA
A couple of days ago, my dog Ziggy and I were feeling a little bit restless.  My first thought was to take him to the dog park so that he could run around and have fun.  Ultimately, I decided to take him for a nice long walk instead.  Ziggy is a one year old puggle, and he was feeling extra frisky.  He kept pulling and pulling for the first half hour of our walk. I've never tried running/jogging before, but I thought I might just do it a little bit to get some of his excess energy burned off.  So I tried jogging a little bit and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  It really wasn't enough for Ziggy so I tried running at full speed for a block and he was way too fast for me so I went back to jogging for a bit.  

Fast forward to today and my quads and glutes are BURNING! I guess I never realized how much even a short run can work out your muscles.  Needless to say, I ran in flat bottomed court shoes and not running shoes since I hadn't planned on running.  Not that I own a pair of running shoes, but I'm sure my old school Reebok court shoes weren't the right choice.

So now I'm in the market for some running shoes so that I can give this jogging thing a try.  I'm at a weight now, where jogging doesn't seem out of the question, and could use some advice on reasonably priced, good quality running shoes. As a matter of fact, I could really use some advice on how to ease into the whole jogging thing.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

pattymac65
on 2/3/12 11:05 am
When I saw your subject line I thought "why was someone chasing you???"  lol... that's about the only time I would jog!  Great for you though... way to go!!

JerseyJim
on 2/3/12 11:15 am - Sayre, PA
Thanks!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/3/12 11:07 am - Baltimore, MD
Good GAWD, Jim, where is the rest of you???

You are seriously half the man you were last I saw you.
JerseyJim
on 2/3/12 11:16 am - Sayre, PA
It's crazy isn't it Nik? I still don't recognize the guy in the mirror these days. LOL

Bettisima
on 2/3/12 11:20 am
Jim
Google couch 2 5k. It's a great program for easing into running over an 8 week period. You can also adjust it to meet your levels. Skip an early week of you feel comfortable running for 10 minutes or so at a time, or the reverse and repeat a week if you need a little bit more time.

As far as shoes, go to a running store, like a Runners Roost. They will watch you walk, and fit you will good shoes. They will let you take then for a spin on the street or the treadmill in the shop. And most offer a 30 return. What you get from a running store is so worth it.

Best of luck!
JerseyJim
on 2/3/12 11:30 am - Sayre, PA
Great advice! I didn't even know running stores existed, and one quick Google search and I found one in Princeton NJ.  Perfect!

I also Googled Couch to 5K and got some great info.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

KittenLove
on 2/3/12 11:32 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Best fit is probably to go to a local running store.. However I've never bought from them and have never paid over $50 for runnin shoes. Marshall's or Off Broadway. Brands? Saucony or Asics

Be happy. 

BugdocMom
on 2/3/12 3:23 pm - CA
Holy Crap, Jim!! Look how skinny you are!! You are doing great!! Congrats.

I hear lots of good stuff about the C25K program, too.
MichelleNC
on 2/3/12 7:52 pm
 I have been running for about a year and a half. I started out with the couch to 5k eventually did my 1st half marathon at 240 lbs. I am sure you will find running to be a refreshing sport. I love the peace and quiet I have 4 kids. Maybe join a running group to run w new friends. I always imagined runners would be so stuffy like don't talk to me haha but everyone I met have been so helpful. Find a 5k in your area make it a goal. I hate Nike shoes they are narrow for me. But I love Asics and new balance running shoes. I get hem at kohls using a coupon and when they are on sale. I pay around 50 never higher. Also try roads, trails, and treadmill running see what you like best. I am from Wayne originally are you near Wayne? I'm coming up this summer let's go running haha

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics