3 yrs post-op RNY

Santino P.
on 2/10/12 10:36 am, edited 2/9/12 10:38 pm - Windsor, Canada
Im almost 3 years out of surgery. Started at 350lbs now i'm at 179lbs and have been this weight for almost 2 years.
I was looking back at some of my old pictures (with disgust) and wondering if anyone else thought of tearing them up and burning them for good? Obviously the important ones (weddings, baptisms, communions etc etc) have to be kept but what is the consensus with everyone else about whether or not keeping old pics as a keepsake or making a clean break and starting from scratch with the "new you" pics??
Im posted a video on YouTube about my before and after pics, should anyone be interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVb_QzvzS6s&feature=g -upl&context=G29a468bAUAAAAAAABAA and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPRyv_gz-sI&feature=g -upl&context=G25db07cAUAAAAAAAAAA

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/10/12 10:47 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh no never! I don't hate my former self. That's who I used to be. It's an account of my life. Those years were important and (warning: religious existentialism in 5, 4, 3, 2...) even as a heavy person I have always been a beloved child of God, made in His image. So I can't look at her with disgust. Or even regret. It is because of her that I am who I am today.

So no...I don't get the desire to burn my old photos. But I can sort of get where you are coming from. Sort of.
Laura in Texas
on 2/10/12 10:56 am
I agree with Nik. Who I was then helped make me the person I am today. And I am FABULOUS!! I have forgiven myself for my many years of being obese and I believe that's what helps keep me on track now.

Save the pictures.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/10/12 11:30 am - OH
No, I have never had the urge to destroy old pictures. I generally don't look at them much, though -- other than a rotating frame that has a "before" formal headshot on lne side and a formal "after" headshot when you rotate it -- because they a definitely not a pretty sight.

As the others mentioned, that person is part of who I am now.  It is also a reminder of how far I have come and where I never want to go back to.  Even if you destroy the photographic "evidence", that doesn't erase the reality... or your memories or those of people who knew you when you were heavy.  That doesn't mean you have to prominently display the "old" pictures, either, though!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

IrishIze
on 2/10/12 11:39 am - NJ
The YouTube video is great - you look teriffic! 

As far as burning pics, I have to say that I don't like to look at myself when I was really big.  I get mad at myself.  Then again, it was rare that I put myself in the position of having my pic taken back when I was really heavy, so there's not a lot of pictures around. 

I am who I am today beause of where I have been throughout my life.  I'm really trying to be more accepting of myself these days; the good and the not so good! 
andrewkalebpoole
on 2/10/12 12:14 pm - TN
i keep the last (fat picture) my wife took one of me right after i came out of surgery still in the hosp bed and i keep that picture on my laptop on my phone and in my wallet so i dont forget who i was or how i got to be the person i am now because its just part of who i am . it also helps me not want to cheat on my diet or workout.
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/12 12:21 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Wow, you did a great job losing so much weight.  I watched your youtube video and the before and after is amazing.  One question....did you have plastics?  You don't seem to have any saggy skin on your belly and chest and I'm wondering how you managed that? What is your secret?
Santino P.
on 2/10/12 10:13 pm - Windsor, Canada
HI!  Thank you!!  Nope, no plastics... yet.  I do have a lot of hanging skin its just not visible that much in the pics.  I was fortunate tho... no excess in my neck, arms but my boobs and tummy have a bit.  Having that removed is my next step.  I was told there is about 13-18 lbs of excess.  That will bring me to 160lbs... almost 200lbs down from my highest of 350lbs.  I have a back injury so excersise is very limited.  I do a lot of walking.  Thats about it... no secrets lol.  Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it very much
Kim W.
on 2/10/12 12:30 pm
I was thinkin of shredding some pics of myself today too. I completely understand where you are coming from. I admire all who accept their past and integrate it into the here and now, but I need to take charge of my life, and taking a lot better care of myself is where my future lies. I am at the age where I can ward off the aging process and I am so miserable right now. I can't wait for my surgery next Tues. and to be on the loser's bench.  HAPPY DANCE!!
Santino P.
on 2/10/12 10:18 pm - Windsor, Canada
Thank you for your imput... Best of luck next Tuesday!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views