Stomach virus after RNY???

paulrap
on 2/18/12 7:47 am
How do we fare with that nasty stomach bug? Same as before? I am a revision from band to RNY 9/26/11, so only about 5 months post-op and it was horrible trying to vomit with the band. My whole family is passing around the bug and I am the last man standing! Just bracing myself!

Hope your day is great!

Paula

Banded 1/22/2009 Revision to RNY 9/26/11

seashell6417
on 2/18/12 8:59 am - Gaylord, MN
I had it a couple of weeks ago.  The first time the contents of my stomach came up (less than 1/4 c.), the second time there was a teaspoon or so and the rest of the times were dry heaves (TMI???)  I just focused on remaining hydrated and did not bother w/ protein, vitamins, etc.  It was very short lived and by the next day I was able to keep food down.
Tami

ChristineB
on 2/18/12 9:15 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
My husband a RNY patient like me had the Norovirus (what was on the cruise ships) recently. He got through it but mainly had the dry heaves due to the small tummy. He had not eaten much the day that he came down with it because no food interested him.

I have had the flu in the past and got through it fine. Some people like to drink gingerale to settle the tummy but I cannot tolerate carbonation very well. I have found that Theraflu helps me.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

hedrider
on 2/19/12 8:23 am - Midlothian, TX
 It sucks.  I don't vomit.  I just dry heaved.  Zofran was my best friend.  I couldn't eat, or drink.  I became dehydrated and I lost 6 pounds in 2 days.  It was the suck.

I ate carbs for a few days afterwards.  Toast, chicken noodle soup...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

paulrap
on 2/19/12 11:09 pm
Thanks for your replies! I made it through without actually vomiting. Took Phenergan all day Sunday and was spared with only Diarrhea. Sorry tmi! 

Tis the season for the tummy viruses! Ughhhh!

Hope your day is great!

Paula

Banded 1/22/2009 Revision to RNY 9/26/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?