?'s about Blood Work

ohlordyp
on 2/21/12 10:59 am - AZ
 I just had my blood work done by my PCP and she called and said that my ferritin level is a little high. She instructed my to quit taking anything that has iron and when I came home and checked none of my vitamins has iron in them. So what exactly does this mean? Is there anything else that could be going on or is this normal after surgery?
Priscilla     
poet_kelly
on 2/21/12 11:32 am - OH
How high was it?  What was your total iron level?

And how come you aren't taking any iron?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/12 12:34 pm - waukesha, WI
I would talk with my PCP and see what your level is than I would talk to your bariatric center.  Long term high iron levels can cause liver problems and pancreas problems.  I would f/u in 3 months.  This could mean that you have extra storage of iron that is not deplete as of yet.  Iron defiencies usually does not happen early out (first few months) except if you were low in iron prior to surgery (what I am experiencing and have to take a **** load of iron). 
CarolBeth
on 2/22/12 1:16 am - SoCal, CA
My ferritin level is high as well, total iron normal.  The dr in my surgeon's office said to cut my iron to 2-3 times a week and we'd watch it.  I'm post-menopausal due to a full hysterectomy, so I don't need as much iron anyway.  My PCP didn't seem concerned.  I'd be interested if you find anything out about this.  Maybe my body is just good at storing iron?
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

ohlordyp
on 2/22/12 2:42 am, edited 2/22/12 2:43 am - AZ
She said it was elevated and did not want me to take any iron. She is faxing the results to the surgeon and I will call them. I have never taken iron after surgery. My surgeon has never told me to. Does everyone take iron after surgery?
poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 3:58 am - OH
I'm sure not everyone does, although the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says everyone should.  Some people choose not to take the recommended vitamins, though, for various reasons.

again, how high is your ferritin?  If it's only slightly elevated, it's probably not a big deal.  If it's really high, it might be a problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views