Ramen Noodles

ohlordyp
on 2/22/12 2:48 am - AZ
Are these okay to eat after RNY?
Priscilla     
Jenspunky
on 2/22/12 3:17 am
RNY on 01/16/12

They won't kill you but they don't have a whole lot of protein and it's empty calories with a lot of sodium.  I wouldn't make a habit out of it.  I'm guilty of having movie popcorn w/butter, twice, because I had an intense craving and because it felt so soothing in the pouch whereas everything else I eat hurts.  Everything. (yup, even water still hurts sometimes).

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

rocky513
on 2/22/12 3:33 am - WI
One package contains 54 g  carbs, 1980 mg sodium, and only 8 g  protein.  I would stay away from ramen noodles.  Too many carbs and not enough protein.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sue C
on 2/22/12 5:59 am, edited 2/21/12 6:00 pm - Fargo, ND

Question for you. I used to make a Chinese Cabbage salad and it calls for ramen noodles but you dont cook them or use the flavoring packet. Is that so bad? Its great to make for company. It has the chinese cabbage, noodles, green onions, mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, sesame seeds and an oil dressing. I think that is all. Plus we dont eat much of it.

What do you think?

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

Mary B.
on 2/23/12 12:14 am - Southern, MD
I LOVE that salad. Only had it once, but made sure to keep the leftovers. Do you have a recipe for this? wonder if we could add in some shredded chicken to up the protein? My guess is the flavoring packet is where all the sodium is...but I could be wrong.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Sue C
on 2/23/12 3:58 am, edited 2/23/12 4:00 am - Fargo, ND
CHINESE CABBAGE SALAD

1/2 chopped NAPA cabbage
4T slivered almonds
4T sesame seeds
        (brown almonds & seeds 450 degrees for 2 min)
4 green onions- chopped
1 pkg Ramen noodles (I used chicken)

Mix cabbage and onion in large bowl.

DRESSING

2T sugar (Splenda)
1/2 c salad oil
tsp salt
3T vinegar

Pour dressing over cabbage and onions. Lastly add seeds and crushed noodles.  Toss.

I suppose you could add chicken for more protein.

Oops- I forgot about the small can of mandarin oranges that also go into this. I cut them in 1/2.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

aaaaaaa
on 2/22/12 3:39 am
 They're ok, but not really the best choice.  Little protein, lots of sodium and carbohydrates, little nutritional value. 

If you're looking for soups right after RNY, I used broth (looked for the kind with the highest protein count) and I actually mixed those little jars of baby food that are pure meat in the broth. It basically dissolved/mixed right in the broth so it didn't taste like anything other than beef/chicken broth, but it had the added protein content. I really liked it, and it was approved for right after  RNY. Also had no carbs. I used "Kitchen Basics" stock/broth, because it had 5 grams of protein per serving, and they have an unsalted version. As I healed, I would add softened carrots to it as well.  I also would use the chicken broth, and mix scrambled eggs in it as it cooked on the stove to make my own "egg drop" soup. 

NevillesMom
on 2/22/12 4:22 am - MA
I agree- stay away!

If you are craving a noodle try the Tofu Shirataki Noodles. Add some steamed veggies, chicken or or favorite protein source.  (1 Bag - 40 calories, 1g fat, 30mg sodium, 6g carbs, 4g fiber, 0g, sugar, 2g protein

http://www.house-foods.com/tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx

HrQueen
on 2/22/12 7:21 am - CA
You can also try miraclenoodles.com.  These are no colorie, no soy, no gluten noodles and they pretty much take on the flavor of the sauce or soup and add a little texture.  They don't really add any protein, but I love them in miso soup.

Darcy S.
on 2/22/12 8:52 pm - Clinton, CT
That's a lot of carbs...I would stay away from noodles. I'm trying to scales all white flour & carbs that aren't natural from veggies. I just figure this is the time to make good life choices...

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Most Active
Recent Topics