Is it normal not to have a goal weight?

ohlordyp
on 3/10/12 11:20 pm - AZ
 Okay, when I decided to have the surgery I just wanted to be healthly so I did not set a goal weight. I am now off my oxygen and my sleep apnea machine and not taking any medicine. So, is it normal not to have a goal weight? Do any of you feel this way or did you if you are at goal?

I know I am not normal! lol
Priscilla     
sweet-tart2012
on 3/10/12 11:26 pm - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
My doctor told me my goal weight - 150 lbs.  He said I could go under or not quite reach it as my body will ultimatally decide where it's happiest at.  Like you, I just want to be healthy.  I had my operation Feb. 16.  So far I haven't lost any weight, but am concentrating on learning to eat correctly.
I figure the rest will happen eventually!  LOL

Linda-P
on 3/10/12 11:34 pm - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
None of us are normal and that is a blessing.

My surgeon said, I have a goal weight for you, but I will give it to you in small doses. I don't want to overwhelm you.  He sets a goal for the next visit.  Of course, I am only 8.5 weeks out and my next visit isn't until April 26.  I have to lose another 11 pounds before then.  It has worked for me and allows me to focus on the good eating habits and not so much the scales.

Good luck!

One day / pound at a time!

LindaW70
on 3/10/12 11:38 pm - Niagara Falls, NY
My dosctor had a goal weight for me just because he didnt want me too lose too much weight and since I had been overweight my whole life you tend to not have realistic goals for yourself after surgery. Now with that said  lol ,,  I have lost 103 lbs to date   went from 265lbs to 152 lbs    from size 26\28 to size 10     My goal was to be healthy as is most evryone's. I am holding at this weight comfortably right now . Its a huge change to get used to. Who knows what more weight will come off in future ,, since i am 5'3   my ideal weight should be around 140lbs I have heard BUT there is no golden rule !!!!!!   your doctor will guide you.  Mine did and he was right so far . Just dont put too much into whats " NORMAL "  You will find your "NORMAL" as you go through your journey . At least thats my take on it    but I'm not a doctor   LOL   best wishes to you !  

Nycm
on 3/10/12 11:50 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
I have simply selected a weight that seems realistic to me. when I get there I will consider what happens next. With my lap-band I lost 93pounds. I was happy with that, so now with this surgery I don't know what to expect.

Congratulations on being off your meds, sleep apnea machine and oxygen. I remember I was so excited when I had reached the point of getting off my meds. Felt so good.

Christine

Stephanie M.
on 3/10/12 11:59 pm - Los Angeles, CA
 I am actually the exact opposite! Lol. Coming in, I always thought I needed to get to 120 pounds. I had my own set goal weight. But, along this process, my body has changed so much already, that I'm not sure it will be necessary to get to that weight in order to feel content and healthy. So, I think its healthy to not have a set goal weight. I would however, set yourself a range of what you ultimately want to get to. Because experts always say you achieve more when you are working towards a specific goal.

Steph

nfarris79
on 3/11/12 12:48 am - Germantown, MD
 I set goals for myself, both number versions and less tangible ones. My surgeon just said she wanted to see me at beyond 60% excess body weight to term my surgery a success. I've lost over 100% excess body weight, lost over half of what I was at highest, and lost a couple comorbidities. I set my goal as a number, not arbitrarily, but as the high limit for normal BMI. In some ways, I liked having a goal but I can see where it could be a dangerous thing - one might become more focused on numbers than on gaining back life & health!
I still have goals yet to achieve - keep maintenance within 10 lbs over the next few years, improve cardiovascular fitness to be able to run, improve muscle tone...... So it never really ends even when you get to your goals.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Lori P.
on 3/11/12 12:48 am - Kenosha, WI
My doctor did not set a goal.  He said that if I was "avewrage", I would get to 140.  I sort of let my body decide where it wanted to be but also kenow that 140 would be too big.  At my one year axam, I was 125...he said stop....I was not doing anything to promote loss other than following the rules.  I got down to 118 and decided that was enough and that I felt frail at that wieght...now I am mainting between 120-125 and I am very happy there.

I think where ever you feel best is you "goal"

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

WildHeart101
on 3/11/12 1:25 am - Lexington, KY
Congrats on coming off of your 02 and breathing machine.  I bet you feel better.  Your surgeon probably has a goal weight set for you.  I like to set myself small goals and reach them as I go...
Good luck and you are normal.  Great job and congrats!
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

Lady Lithia
on 3/11/12 3:48 am
I wanted to lose weight

NOT enough to have surgery

But I wanted to eliminate GERD.... so I opted to have the surgery

I set a goal weight that seemed reasonable for someone my age and body type. If I could permanently be less than 180 lbs, I would be happy.

My surgeon didn't have a goal for me.

The MOST important goal, in my opinion, is to improve your health.
With the improvement of health (at least in my case) I wanted also to improve some of the big horrible things about morbid obesity... the ability to reach for personal hygeine, alleviate the pain for my feet and body to cart around 200 extra pounds.

Once health and pain is improved, then it's nice as a sort of side effect to feel more attractive and more slender, but I always thought of that as a bonus rather than the purpose.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views