Yet another lab question (iron)

Jane N.
on 3/21/12 9:17 am - Round Rock, TX
Got my last set of labs back and other than being told to stop taking any vitamin D I might be taking (it was 131, which is the best it's ever been...previous high was 40, so thanks Vitalady's D50).

Anyway, the set I'm not entirely sure what I should do with is my iron labs.  (I've never been anemic and I've had a hysterectomy.)   My PCP said everything was great and I just got the fax from them this evening with the actual values.

IRON, SERUM    124 (35-145UG/OL)
UNSATURATED IBC    151 L (155-300) UG/DL
ALCULATED TOTAL IBO    275 (250-450) UG/DL
FERRITIN    122( 10-220 NG/ML)

poet_kelly
on 3/21/12 9:23 am - OH
The iron looks fine to me.

Regarding your D, it's up to you of course but I personally would not quit taking it.  I might cut back some.  My last vitamin D level was around 140 (142 I think?  I'm too lazy to look it up right now) and I did cut back but did not stop taking it altogether.  I don't need it to get any higher but I don't want it to drop a lot, either.  I did talk to Michelle (vitalady) to get her advice about how much to cut back.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jane N.
on 3/21/12 11:24 am - Round Rock, TX
I'm going to drop back a little on my dosage but while the nurse seemed concerned, I was thrilled. We'll see how they look in a few months. Four years ago it was so low the lab couldn't detect it.  It was less than 4 and even with regular D3 it was never above 40. 

TamaraL
on 3/21/12 11:11 am

okay, i really wish i had your iron levels.  Those levels are fantastic.

my ferretin level is 21

please do not be worried with 122.  mine was 125 after 6 treatments of iv infusions.  The surgeons office was very pleased with 125 after the iron infusions so 122 is to brag about.  not sure why you are concerned

Tamara

Jane N.
on 3/21/12 11:25 am - Round Rock, TX
I've just never had any iron levels not be in range.  I was concerned because it wasn't.  I know a lot about potassium levels and other labs that I typically have out of whack but iron has always been off my radar.

TamaraL
on 3/21/12 11:45 am
your levels are fantastic.  the numbers are well within normal range.   your job now is to keep them up.  Mine keep dropping.  they are very concerned about my iron levels.  I am waiting on iron from vitalady. 

with WLS patients they seem to be worried with the  iron stores (ferretin)  and that level is optimal to me. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/21/12 12:04 pm - Windsor, Canada
On March 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Pacific Time, Jane N. wrote:
Got my last set of labs back and other than being told to stop taking any vitamin D I might be taking (it was 131, which is the best it's ever been...previous high was 40, so thanks Vitalady's D50).

Anyway, the set I'm not entirely sure what I should do with is my iron labs.  (I've never been anemic and I've had a hysterectomy.)   My PCP said everything was great and I just got the fax from them this evening with the actual values.

IRON, SERUM    124 (35-145UG/OL)
UNSATURATED IBC    151 L (155-300) UG/DL
ALCULATED TOTAL IBO    275 (250-450) UG/DL
FERRITIN    122( 10-220 NG/ML)
 Wow.  I am envious.  My ferritin is still 5

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views