estimating time off work

sidsid
on 4/5/12 12:22 am
 I am booked for RNY in late MAY, trying to estimate shortest realistic time off work.
I have a desk job  but  walk around a lot. I am reading 2 weeks fluids then onto soft food.
I was hoping three weeks but I am a bit afraid my energy levels will not maintain 8 hours at work. 
Nothing worse than being weak from low energy, anyone wan to guess what is realistic?
Calliou
on 4/5/12 12:27 am
RNY on 03/27/12
My FMLA was for 4 weeks, but I got the ok to return to work next week... 2 weeks out. I think it depends alot on your stress level at your job and type of job you have... physical -wise. You certainly dont want to push yourself too fast!

laura_vermont
on 4/5/12 12:46 am
I have a desk job, with some walking (which is actually really good for you early post-op).  I had surgery on Wed., went back to work on Mon.  Tired, but no pain, and able to do full days without issue.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

avivaps
on 4/5/12 12:51 am
RNY on 02/28/12
I returned to work after 2 weeks but I don't work full time.  I would suggest discussing with your surgeon and then also thinking about maybe arranging for returning on the early side but having a back-up plan in case you need some extra time.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

OntrackAgain
on 4/5/12 12:56 am - Ashburn, VA
RNY on 03/06/12
 I went back after a week off and I had open RNY.  I was really tired thaT first day and regretted my decision (but work beckoned) so I was in a pinch.  The rest of that week I worked from home (laptop in bed itch me mostly).  Week 2 back I was fine.

Take as much time as work gives you would be my advice!

To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required!                
gm8376
on 4/5/12 12:59 am
 I had laprascopic RNY. I took 3 weeks off, but could definitely have gone back a week or maybe even a week and a half earlier. Typical desk job.

Lori54555
on 4/5/12 1:34 am - Phillips, WI
I am scheduled for RNY on Wed 4/11. I only get one week off, then back to work. That is what my surgeon said right away. I am worried about not being able to handle 8 hours/5 days a week; I keep seeing posts about being so tired after surgery. I have 5 weeks of vacation at my job, so Im covered if i need more time off. It just baffles me that my surgeon thiinks I would only need 1 week off! But, he is the surgeon so I guess he knows what is good for me.

Jennifer M.
on 4/5/12 2:04 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 From my experience (very stressful desk job), I'd say two weeks off, two weeks half time, as tolerated.   You will feel much stronger once you get on soft food.

Sarah R.
on 4/5/12 2:15 am
I had a somewhat similar job at the time of my surgery plus some clinical work that involved being more physical and 3 weeks was what I took off. I worked 6 days a week at the time and did just fine with the 8 hour days. A little more tired on some days but nothing that prevented me from doing my job. Different for everyone but I would think you should be good to go. Good luck on your surgery!

Colby B.
on 4/5/12 4:41 am - Veradale, WA
I think it entirely depends on your specific situation. I had mine on a Monday and went back to work full time the following Monday. If pressed, I think I could have been back to the office after 3 days. That being said, as you can see from the other responses, it's very different for each individual.

HW: 356, SW: 325, CW: 241, GW: 220
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 40 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views