Keeping "Fat" clothes

Santino P.
on 4/16/12 12:51 am - Windsor, Canada
Hello Everyone

Congratulations on everyones WLS journey and best wishes to those thinking about having it done.
I will be 3 years post op in May.  350 to 178lbs and have been there ever since.
I can probably speak for everyone when it comes to yo-yo diets.  We've all done them.  Lost 50, 60, 90 pounds only to gain it all back and then some.  Thats partially the reason we had WLS right?? Thru the years of my yo-yo diets, I always kept my "fat" clothes juuuussstttt in case i put weight back on (and i always did).  Right after my RNY, I tossed (donated, gave away) all my "fat" clothes except one pair of jeans and one shirt.  As my weight plunged, i bought me clothes and got rid of the bigger ones.  My closet only holds clothes that currently fit me (except that 1 pair of jeans and shirt). I know I will never go back to the way i was.
What is the consensus with the rest of the WLS people?  Have you guys tossed your old fat clothes or are you keeping them?  Is it a good idea to keep your old clothes??
Ive attached a YouTube video of my journey.  Also, theres an ireport article also included.
I hope everyones doing well on their journey.  Best wishes.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-776322

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVb_QzvzS6s

Facebook:  Santino Pirrone
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 12:57 am - Boston, MA
 No way would I keep them!!! Cleaned out BOTH closets.. donated bags and bags and bags.. still have 2 huge piles of the good stuff I'm going to ebay.  I will never be that size again
laura_vermont
on 4/16/12 12:59 am
***hanging head in shame***

I got rid of MOST of the clothes that don't fit.  I have saved the last two sizes too large, just in case.  In my defense, I am below goal and never thought that I would wear a size "2".... so I have 4's and 6's in reserve for "the bounce". 

Hopefully, my dd will get down to those sizes, and I'll pass them to her.  I am not, and don't think I could get myself into a place mentally, to actively TRY to gain.

Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Ladytazz
on 4/16/12 5:59 am
I've done the same thing.  I've always tossed my clothes when they got too big in the past, both before and after both WLS's.  But I buy almost all my clothes at thrift stores or clearance racks so it's not a big deal.  I have rarely paid more then $20 for one item of clothes.  I did pay $25 for a pair of jeans at Goodwill for some insane reason.  Okay, it wasn't that insane.  They were vanity sized and said "Size 0, Waist 25".  I never thought I would see those numbers so I had to buy them.  I was probably in a size 4 at that time.  They got too big and I eventually really did get to a size 0 and even some girls clothes size 12 and 14 but that is too low so I have kept most of my size 2s and 4s.  These are only in pants.  In tops I can wear a wider variety of sizes.  I have some from S to XL depending on how they are supposed to look.  I have bags of tops from last year when the weather got colder I bagged my warm weather clothes and now I have lots to wear if the sun ever comes out here again.
BTW, when I say tossed I mean I either send them back to the thrift store of put them on the free site of Craigslist.  I have also gotten many clothes from the free site, too.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

laura_vermont
on 4/16/12 7:21 am, edited 4/15/12 7:23 pm
You are SO tiny! I hear you on the vanity sizing -- I have a couple pair from chicos that are 00, but it's really a 2. I don't kid myself. I hate vanity sizing and would much rather be the size 6 that I would have been a decade ago....

nearly all of my clothes are thrift / clearance too. can't do the retail price thing anymore.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Brittany M.
on 4/16/12 1:04 am
I got rid of all of my really big clothes, but I have kept a range of sizes, between 10-14, just in case. 

SarinaHaas
on 4/16/12 1:05 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
I'm only 7 weeks post op, but lost 50 lbs pre-op and 30 post-op. I've been getting rid of all of my clothes. Dontating some, but selling most. It's the only way I can make a few bucks to get clothes that actually fit my shrinking body. Of course, I hope to never ever return to the point that they would fit anyway! I have however, kept the largest pair of jeans I've ever fit in. I will keep those forever to remind myself of my journey :)
Michelle V.
on 4/16/12 1:39 am - Livonia, MI
I am making a huge pile of clothes to get rid of. It may take me awhile to find time to go through them & make sure they are all clean, but they will end up with either my sister or salvation army.

1dragonfly
on 4/16/12 1:56 am - Gurley, AL
I am almost 4 weeks post op. I have already gotten rid of all the clothes that don't fit (except that one favorite pair of jeans and shirt). My thought is to give to those who are still struggling to find something that I could wear that was descent and I could afford. Let someone else be excited to find something that fits them. Maybe they will be able to break their bond to food some day soon. My little daddy use to tell me - leave it better than you found it. I want someone else to find something they can use.

Robert P.
on 4/16/12 2:41 am - Pelham, AL
I kept one pair of pants and one shirt just to remember how huge I was.  Everything else went out!  It's too easy to let yourself go up just one size here, one size there.  Every time I go down 1 size, I throw the bigger ones in the trash.  If anything ever gets tight, I know I'm off track.
High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 238 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views