Milk ?

ohlordyp
on 4/24/12 2:21 pm - AZ
I will try this again last time I got a post about bootcamp. Very strange! Here is my question I want to know what kind of milk is better 2 % or skim. I go through spells were I drink milk and then I don't. 
Priscilla     
A. C
on 4/24/12 2:45 pm
i have to ask what you mean by better? I prefer skim personally because it is fat free - i like to get my calories other places haha i'm not big on milk though

if you mean like protein wise, it's the same i believe - dependent upon the brand of milk..

good luck

HW: 376   SW: 354  

rbb825
on 4/24/12 3:19 pm - Suffern, NY
it depends on where else you get any fat.  We need some fat, so if you dont really get any fat anywhere else, you might want to use a 1% or possibly 2% - I have always gotIten the one that says low fat - I think that is 1% - I think reduced fat is 2%.  IT is all in the wording.  Regular milk has 8 grams  and lactaid has 11 grams but  I believe smart balance is around  14grams  - I know that is for the lactose free, not sure about the stuff with lactose - plain milk.

Becareful how much milk you drink though, it has alot of calories and not enough protein  you are better off having a protein shake with 35-45 grams of protein instead.

PMarie
on 4/24/12 11:36 pm - Bloomington, MN
 I never drink milk.  I use some on cereal about twice a week, or in my made at home cappuchino.  I find that 2% foams better for the cappuchino, and I use so little of it.
If I were drinking milk on a regular basis, I'd go with skim. 

christinalee
on 4/24/12 11:59 pm - At Home in, NH
Skim milk is a reduced/non-fat choice. Dairy fats (saturated) are not "good" fats; so limiting the amount of fats from dairy is a good idea for maintaining your cholesterol, hearth health, reduced incidence of strokes, etc. Good fats that you want to include in your eating plan are mono and poly-unsaturated fats and can be found in canola, olive oils (plus others), avocados, some nuts, salmon (and other fish with omega 3 fatty acids), etc.

From a dietary fat perspective, skim is the better choice.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

poet_kelly
on 4/25/12 3:14 am - OH
Better in what way?  Skim milk is lower in fat, (it's fat free), but is that better? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/12 3:22 am - OH
To me, skim milk is like white water...yuck! The difference in fat and calories between skim, 1% , and 2% are actually quite minimal, so I think it all comes down to taste preference. Personally, I use 1% for everything except drinking and 2% for drinking.

per cup (8g of protein for all):
Skim: 80 cal, zero fat
1%: 110 cal, 2.5g of fat
2%: 135 cal, 5g fat

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 4/25/12 3:25 am - West Chester, PA
 i drink a glass of 1% at least once  a day. i love milk, always have. to me its more refreshing than water and is comforting before bed so that's when i drink it.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
Recent Topics