NEED HELP!! Obesity and reproductive issues

curvaceousdiva
on 6/14/12 9:55 pm - Hyattsville, MD
Question: For my ladies who's always been obese since birth, with reproduction.  My daughter who came out roughly 13lbs and always obese till her surgery March last year, had her first GYN appt yesterday, the GYN mentioned wanting to do sonogram on her to check her ovaries and mentioned that weight has a HUGE roll in reproductive issues... Now yall know gained AFTER having children, so I cant relate.. so my question is what issues are those?  She's DAMN sure not thinking about having children and actually started the depo shot.

Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
artroxy blue
on 6/14/12 10:17 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Some obese women develop Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), which can make them infertile. I never developed that, but I've always had very heavy periods. I did go on the Pill a few times to regulate my cycles, but it was just for a short time. 

They probably want to also check for fibroids, which aren't necessarily a problem, but can be when you're carrying around a lot of extra weight. Hope everything is OK!
Michelle P.
on 6/14/12 10:18 pm - FL
RNY on 05/14/12
I've been a big girl for my entire life and I have PCOS, which is polycystic ovarian syndrome. It can and often times does cause menstrual irregularities, acne, infertility, insulin resistance, diabetes, thyroid issues. Not enough is known about it they think weight could be a cause or the PCOS could cause weight gain. Weight loss seems reverse the symptoms and many suffering from infertility from PCOS conceive after wls or weight loss alone others need more treatments.

Dave Chambers
on 6/14/12 11:27 pm - Mira Loma, CA
My support groups have addressed this issue. Many post ops, females who've been obese for many years, have had trouble conceiving. Wt loss increases hormonal activity, and pregnancy afer 4-6 months of wt loss has happened to several women in the past.  So my surgeon strongly urges 2 forms of birth control during the wt loss phase (18 mo.), as conventional birth control pills are not properly absorbed by most females post ops.  I know of 2 or 3 RNY post ops who were married for over 12 years with no kids (although trying), and conception was finally achieved when major wt loss was achieved. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 162 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views