Problems with my MEMORY!

chatterpam
on 6/22/12 4:01 am - PA
Has anyone else had problems with their short term memory weight loss?  It started about 8 months out.  This is starting to scare me because it is getting worse as time goes on.  I have calendars - online and off, I text myself messages, send myself emails, sticky notes... and STILL forget stuff.

Before you ask - it is not menopause.  I had a complete hysterectomy (ALL reproductive organs removed) over 11 years ago, so I have been in menopause.

I just had my bariatric labs and the only think I am low in is D (they gave me prescription D - which I never knew existed and I will be adding a D supplement once the RX is done).

The PA told me to see my PCP because I might be having issues with things that they don't test for.

OY VEY!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/22/12 4:04 am - Baltimore, MD
 I did when I wasn't consistently taking my b12. It can get bad really quickly with the b12. Not sure how long that takes to show up labs though. Just because something doesn't read low in a lab doesn't mean you aren't deficient. Your body will go through your stores if you aren't getting enough so on paper it looks like you are fine but in reality you're using up your stores of nutrients and once it gets to the point of showing up in your labs, it can be a pretty bad situation.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

chatterpam
on 6/22/12 4:21 am - PA

Nik - I am giving myself B12 shots religiously every month... I wonder if I should add a B supplement as well.... can one get "too much" B?  Thanks!

sumueulu
on 6/22/12 4:24 am
I was religious with monthly b-12 shots, but I'm now realizing that it's not enough.  I'm going to start going weekly.
Technically no, you can't get too much B b/c your body will expell what it doesn't use (you'll pee it out).
Sarah
cajungirl
on 6/22/12 5:30 am
In my research the only B you could get too much of is B6.  If I were you, I'd be adding some high dose of B-12 sublingual to my daily vitamins in addition to the shots.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Amy D.
on 6/22/12 4:07 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
You can be affected by low B12 levels even when they are within so called "normal" ranges.

Definitely see your PCP since there are other things they can test for. But actually see what your numbers are for the B12.

Also, beware of the prescription D. If it's not dry D, you won't be able to absorb it so it won't do you any good.

Good luck!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
chatterpam
on 6/22/12 4:22 am - PA
Amy - what is "dry D"?  The pills they are giving me are little balls with goo inside.  Thanks!
ShebasMom
on 6/22/12 5:05 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Vit D3 gel capsules contain oil, which we don't absorb anymore. Some prescription D is actually D2, which our bodies have to convert to D3. Dry D3 is powder in a capsule or a tablet. You have to search but you can find dry D3 in 1,000-2,000 iu tablets over the counter at some pharmacies. Or you can order dry D3 in 5000 iu or 50,000 iu from VitaLady.com.
Some of the vets on here require the 50,000 iu 3-7x week to keep their levels up. I, unfortunately, took it daily (level was 22) for 6 weeks last fall and became toxic (205). I had to stop taking any D for 2 months and then gradually add D in. For the past 4 months, I've been getting D levels every 6 weeks, and adjusting my D, so I (and my NP) can find out how much I actually need. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/22/12 5:36 am - Baltimore, MD
 That would be the kind we can't absorb. Surprising how many surgeons (including mine!) don't seem to get that. I schooled him, though. Now he only gives dry D pills. It's a pill like a Tylenol or Aspirin. No goo. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Amy D.
on 6/22/12 5:51 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I see that your question has already been answered.

And yeah, my surgeon prescribed the wrong kind as well.

I get my dry D3 from the Vitamin Shoppe locally in 5000 IU.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Most Active
Recent Topics