6 weeks out and coffee tastes undesirable - what's with that?

sidsid
on 6/24/12 11:43 pm
 I have loved coffee forever and I have tried it a few times and dont like the taste. it is a bit more bareable iced with a little milk but what is with that? I will need it to stay awake at work next week.
Did anyone elses tastes change so much they cant do coffee anymore? not crazy about any hot drink right now, is it just  the healing phase still?

momjan
on 6/25/12 12:05 am - Canada
Yes...weird, huh?  I have drunk coffee black for 30 years....can't stand it that way anymore.  Must have cream in it.......!!????  I now also mix leftover cold coffee with a cafe brazil protein powder and water and mil**** cubes for my own latte.
Sherry T.
on 6/25/12 12:46 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
How about Hot Tea?  I know it's not the same because I'm a coffee lover too....but it does help.  I laid off coffee for another reason.  Seems like it affected the hives I've had for a while now.  I'm going to get some fat free creamer today and make it even better.   just a suggestion,  hth! Sherry
Larry Wassmann
on 6/25/12 12:52 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 My surgeon does not want me to have coffee. Many of the things I used to love taste funny now.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Pholaris
on 6/25/12 1:15 am
Our taste buds change with surgery, sometimes they change back up later on, sometimes they never go back to normal. Since coffee isn't something that's very recommended, specially right after surgery, I would consder myself lucky fog not wanting it hehe.

You will notice the same happens with other foods. It is normal. :)
Pregnancy%20ticker
skabets112
on 6/25/12 2:20 am
Coffee was a no go for me until about my 3 month mark, even the smell bothered me. Which was ODD to me, because I was a pot a day+ type of girl before surgery! After about 3 months, I started having a small cup a day, and could handle that...before I got pregnant (at 13 months out), I was back up to 2 or 3 cups a day (spaced out, making sure that I drank lots of water to make up for it). Now that I'm pregnant, the coffee aversion is back in full force, which never happened during my other two pregnancies.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

sidsid
on 6/25/12 2:28 am
 Interesting, yep the smell I used to love now not revolted but lots of smells bother me now.
3 months hey okay may have to do diet coke to get the caffine. I can drink that although now the aspartane tastes too sweet, but going to need that wake up and go. Dare I try one of those energy drinks to get myself going ( mentally ) in the morning? been a pretty sedenitary and rough 6 weeks. Hope I have th energy to make it through 8 works behind a desk and running around putting out fires.
skabets112
on 6/25/12 2:35 am
I would stay away from the energy drink. Lots of them are filled with tons of sugar, and have no nutritional benefit (granted, some say that about coffee as well). In all honesty, if you're looking for a pick me up to get moving, I have found tha****er and exercise are the best pick me ups! (it just takes a while to get there!).. As for the diet coke, if you do make sure the carbonation is out of it. Most surgeons suggest you stay away from soda in general, mine told me "if you must have one, have a diet soda without the carbonation...aka open it, pour it in a cup of ice walk away for 5 minutes". Just remember that sugar subs can lead to cravings as well.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

mpjones
on 6/25/12 5:13 am
OH NO--say it isn't so !!! Coffee is my best friend--I'm at the age where I really think I prefer a good cup of coffee to s*x-lol. Fingers crossed I don't lose my taste for it--LOVE the smell of fresh ground beans as well. OH DEAR, OH DEAR !!!!!
chatterpam
on 6/25/12 5:18 am - PA
My taste buds went BERSERK after surgery and it took several months until they were "back to normal"... a few things I think I lost for good like mayo, ketchup and kielbassi (LOL)... but I can live with it. Just try it from time to time. It will probably be back.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 53 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views