How long before you went back to work??

Sherrie P.
on 7/8/12 12:11 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I would like to get back to work ASAP.

I walk a lot at work, but do zero lifting and nothing that is considered strenuous.  Even when I am rushing around, I can slow down the pace. I go from sitting to standing quite a bit too.

How long should I plan to stay out?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 7/8/12 12:13 pm - OH
Seems like most people take two to four weeks off.  I ended up being off almost three months due to complications, but that is not common.  It's hard to predict in advance how you'll feel, though, if you'll have much pain or not, much nausea or not, etc.  The biggest issue after two or three weeks will likely be fatigue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

On2BetterThings
on 7/8/12 12:47 pm - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
I dont work, but I am a full time student. I had my surgery on a tuesday, was in the hospital till thursday afternoon, and went to class friday morning as scheduled for that class. i didnt go wed or thurs (because clearly i was in the hospital) but i was able to function in class.. so if you have a desk job you should have no problem.. but then again the pain is different for everyone? but i could not miss class at all.. and i took pain meds before i was dropped off and i was just fine.. so it all depends on you.. i was fine walking and sitting up..
    RNY 04*03*12

Capt_Kirk
on 7/8/12 12:48 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 I took a week off, primarily because I work from home... and when I asked for the time off, I was planning to get the sleeve.

I didn't need more than a week off.  The Friday after surgery (I had surgery on Tuesday... so 3 days later) I was out and about until 2AM doing some hobby stuff.
Lady Lithia
on 7/8/12 12:57 pm
I'm a high school teacher, I was back full time day 14

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

redchick1
on 7/8/12 1:00 pm
I took a week off and I had my gallbladder out at the same time.  I have a desk job though with a great boss who was very good to me.

Best of luck!

THE_life10
on 7/8/12 5:48 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I was in the same boat as you..I only took off 1 week...and was fine to go back after day 5 but i took the last 2 days and went shopping (lol)

I didnt have any complications...and i MADE SURE i did so much walking my feet were sore right after surgery ..i went to the mall..i went grocery shopping..i took my dog to the park...so that I could work that gas pain out of my body .  After the gas was out of me I felt 100%.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

latanyapal23
on 7/9/12 5:45 am
I was out for one month due to saving my vactions days.

Sherrie P.
on 7/9/12 9:50 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Thank you so much for all your responses!
I think two weeks will be plenty.  I was worried that I might need more.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Lady Lithia
on 7/9/12 9:57 am
Some people do. Be prepared for that as a possibility. If you haven't had many (or any) abdominal surgeries, you might need 6 weeks. I had GB surgery and went back in a week, but if I'd had the sick leave, I would have stayed out 6 weeks. Comparitively, the RNY was a piece of cake. I could have returned in a week if I'd been so inclined.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 77 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views