Have the recommendations for vitamin D changed recently?

Tiffani A.
on 7/15/12 11:08 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
 I was talking to a friend who will be having RNY soon. We were talking about vitamins and I mentioned that she would need a dry vitamin D tablet. 
She said her paperwork says she needs a liquid capsule and to puncture it and sort of drink the liquid out. I had thought that the liquid was oil and not something we absorb, but before I make that statement as fact, I thought I'd check here and see if this is something new?
Any input? Google wasn't much help.
Thanks!
poet_kelly
on 7/15/12 11:14 pm - OH
No, nothing has changed.  You are correct, the liquid capsule she's talking about is filled with oil and we malabsorb fats and oil is a fat, so she won't absorb that very well.  She will absorb some of it, we do absorb some fats, but just not all of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 7/15/12 11:43 pm - Mira Loma, CA

A dry D3 is what you'll need post op.  I ended up taking the 50K IU dry D3 to get my D labs up to the desired 80-90 levels noted by several studies.  With adjustments, based on labs, it took me 6 years to have labs a little above 90 at 104. This was using one 50K IU dry D3 daily. I've now adjusted down to 6 per weeks which should set my D labs right about 90 next year. Not every post op is the same.  You might consider starting out with 2 or 3 of the 50K IU per week, and check D levels on next labs, adjusting accordingly. Any vitamin in an oil base will NOT work post op. DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Tiffani A.
on 7/16/12 1:13 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
 Thanks Kelly and Dave! I wanted to be sure I wasn't giving my friend outdated information!
Lady Lithia
on 7/16/12 1:22 pm
While we shouldn't take the things strangers talk about on the internet as the gospel truth, I have read SO MANY studies about the efficacy of the DRY D3, as well as heard so many anecdotes from those WITH RNY who don't get their levels to rise with the OILY D vitamins, as well as seen MY levels rise from the ditch in just three months with the DRY that I think this one is important to believe in.

Too many doctors just don't care about it the way we HAVE to care about it.... it's OUR body. For them, it's just one thing on top of a lot of things they need to know and understand.

(and why I'm suddenly preaching to you? I'm in a preachy weird mood today!)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

LlC
on 7/16/12 2:52 pm - North East, TX -(LAP RNY 6-1-2004), TX
I can beat that....My d3 was low last month....18....so I started with the oily pills, read that they can become rancid, switched to dry form from GNC, talked to my pcp about the hand full of vits i take , she told me to try the topical lotion....which they don't sell unless on the net that I can find...., gnc sold me the liquid form that you add to juice and told me to apply it to lotion , or topically ....I work at a vet, and my dr's told me it might not absorb as well, but should be the same stuff....Biatric Advantage told me that the liquid product that they carry that is just like what I bought can not be absorbed through the skin.....and then there is the" we only absorb 50% thing", and then i read that 98% of the B12 we inject is urinated out in the first hour....and lets not consider that vits are not FDA approved, so it's a free for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think i hyperventalated and my d3 is STILL LOW.....

LL C
Lap RNY 6-1-04
at goal (-115 lbs)
[email protected]

Most Active
Recent Topics