Feel like a failure on liquid diet

Coopiemom
on 7/20/12 11:56 pm
So my surgery is the 24th and I feel like I have already let myself down. I had been doing really well on the liquid diet for the past week and a half and what do I do to myself?? I reward myself with FOOD. Went out to a restaurant last night because I told myself that "I have been real good". Not I hate myself for doing that and being so close to surgery as well. My therapist would not be happy with me but she would be more upset at the way I am now treating myself for making this mistake...but I can't get past it.

Any ideas on how I can turn this into a learning experience and not be so hard on myself? Anyone else have an experience like this?
poet_kelly
on 7/21/12 12:17 am - OH
Try makiing a list of non-food rewards for yourself for the next time you need a reward.

How would your therapist tell you to treat yourself after making a mistake?  I think it's important to remember that mistakes are often how we learn.  So now you know that  you tend to reward yourself with food and you realize that you need to have other rewards for yourself.  That's a good thing to learn.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Coopiemom
on 7/21/12 12:35 am
I am still seeing this "therapist" that I was required to see after my psych eval due to emotional eating habits. She is helping me work on not being so self critical and negative self talk. We haven't really had a chance to talk about rewards or failures, so to speak but I'm sure she would have me own up to my mistake and move on...not dwell on it because that could lead me into a negative direction. I don't know why I am so mean to myself but this definitely did not help. SO I will just have to own up to the mistake and look into a different reward system. Money is tight with us these days so I rarely spend money on myself but I will have to explore other options that may work for me. I have learned that I like to take care of others, my kids, and my patients (I am a nurse, imagine that!) and I end up neglecting myself.It's taken me 6 years to finally say I want and deserve to have my surgery now.  Thanks for the support.
poet_kelly
on 7/21/12 12:40 am - OH
Then make a list of rewards that are cheap or free.  A long bubble bath (light some candles, play some nice music), an afternoon with a good book, watching a favorite movie (you can check out movies at the library for free), a visit to a free park or museum or some place like that, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brzmom
on 7/21/12 12:21 am - MO
RNY on 08/08/12
I used to do this to myself all the time with any diet I was on.  I would give myself so many days and then get to have what I wanted, well that one thing that I wanted turned into a day of what I wanted then every day again.  I don't know if this will apply the same way but I quite smoking, AGAIN, but everytime I do my husband tells me to put the amount of money away that I would spend on cigarettes, save it up and buy anything I want!  The first time I quit I saved for a year and bought a fun little car, yes it was a cheap $1,000 car but it was a fun car!  Now I don't really save that $ in an account but I don't feel bad when I buy something totally friviouls that I want!  I don't know if you used to eat out a lot but maybe save that money and then buy something that relates to your new life like clothes, new walking shoes, a gym membership.  I don't know maybe even just something you really want but can't justify spending the money on!  Just try and change your focus from food to your new life!  Believe me I know easier said then done, I am right there with you.  I am terrified I am going to sabatoge my liquid pre-op diet because I can still eat what ever I want but after surgery I won't be able to sabatoge myself so easily!
Melyssa S.
on 7/21/12 12:47 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
The closer I got to my surgery date the more I wanted certain foods and drinks. Of course I cheated with a mind set of I may never be able to have this or that again. I am 5 weeks out and it is really wierd that I have no desire for those things I cheated and ate during my last 2 weeks prior to surgery. I thank God for that. Best of luck I believe those things get easier after surgery.
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

SoCaPinkLady
on 7/21/12 4:57 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Pick yourself up.. Dust yourself off and move forward. No beating yourself up over spilled milk. It happened, forgive yourself for being human and move on. A learning experience yes but not a reason to beat yourself up continually over.

Lori                               

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/21/12 5:53 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Remember it's a process. Your aim is for improvement, not perfection.

There are a few exceptions to that: in the day or two before surgery, if you're put on clear liquids, you do need to stay on clear liquids. Pre-op, nothing to eat or drink means exactly that.

But a slip that strengthens your resolve, experience, and wisdom is practice. Practice is a good thing.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/21/12 6:39 am
That was one meal.  Get back on the liquid diet. Many people have a "last meal" before surgery.  Just do the best you can for the next few days and you will be fine. 

Winnie

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 201 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views