I'm driving myself crazy

Tereasa R.
on 7/22/12 11:56 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14
Well, I have been trying to have this surgery for about 2 years now. The problem was my insurance company. They didn't cover it NO MATTER WHAT! I was just recently laid off and now I'm on a Medicaid program for women with children with little income. So I sent my information in to the doctor I chose and I got a call back saying that my medicaid was verified and that after I attend their seminar, they can get the appointments started! This is the closet I have been to having this surgery and I'm terrified that it's not going to happen. And of course the next seminar is August 11th so I'm going to bat crap crazy about this until then.
Has anybody else had this surgery covered by Medicaid?? What all needs to be done? Is it pretty much a done deal if they have verified it?
poet_kelly
on 7/22/12 12:01 pm - OH
Mine was covered by Medicare and Medicaid, but I'm in Ohio, and Medicaid regulations vary from state to state.

No, just verifying that you have Medicaid doesn't mean it's a done deal.  Medicaid will have requirements you must meet, like having a BMI of 40 or above, maybe having a history of morbid obesity going back a certain number of years (sometimes two years, sometimes five years), maybe having a history of failed weight loss attempts, etc.  Then you will probably have to have a psych eval, get cleared for surgery medically, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

L. Matteson
on 7/22/12 1:16 pm
RNY on 07/02/12
I have Medicaid, the BlueChoice healthplan. I'm in SC. Go and take a look at my profile and you can see exactly what I went through and what I had to do.

Good Luck with your surgery!

Tereasa R.
on 7/22/12 1:30 pm - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14
Thank you! :) I'll do that.
Most Active
Recent Topics