Is there a way to fix your metabolism?

Tiffani A.
on 7/27/12 11:19 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
 I was reading another post this morning about eating too few calories and how it can sew up your metabolism.  I think this could happen to many of us who have dieted over the years, and I wondered if there is a way to "fix" your metabolism? 
M M
on 7/28/12 12:44 am
 If only.
MC83
on 7/28/12 12:58 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
A drug called phentermine will increase metabolism though I am not sure if doctors will give it to people post RNY.  I had it prescribed to me about 2 years pre op and I lost about 50lbs with it.  It basically puts your body into over drive.

Larry Wassmann
on 7/28/12 1:02 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Speed, but a poor choice. Years ago believe it or not doctors would give you a prescription for legal amphetamines or as the old term speed is called now, I think. I had some way back in caveman days.   

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

garnetgal
on 7/28/12 1:55 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 They were also called "mother's little helpers" and yes I had them too!

mpjones
on 7/28/12 1:50 am
I'll re-phase the question for the Op--is there a NATURAL way to reset your metabolism?? 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/28/12 2:01 am - OH
 No... and even speed, etc. does not re-set your metabolism... it just temporarily alters it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

garnetgal
on 7/28/12 2:08 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 1. Don't skip breakfast
 2. Eat 6 small meals a day including a generous amount of protein.
 3. Drink 48 to 64 oz of water per day
 4. Make sure your diet includes fiber
 5. Green tea boosts metabolism
 6. Vitamins B and C help boost metabolism
 7. Exercise, even walking will help boost metabolism.

Well, these are pretty much all things that WLS patients are supposed to be doing! Work with your tool and your tool will help you get where you need to be!

MC83
on 7/28/12 2:15 am, edited 7/28/12 2:15 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
Yes, eating enough calories and having 5-6 meals a day while getting about 1 hour a day of intense cardio/strength training.  The more muscle you build, the more calories your burn for a longer period of time. Also getting in at least 60oz of water helps.

That's what my surgeon told me to do because he thinks I have a low resting metabolic rate and will most likely just be a slower loser. At my 3 month check up I had only lost 41lbs and I think he expected me to be lower.     

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/28/12 2:45 am, edited 7/28/12 3:02 am - OH
Actually, unless you have a LOT of muscle (which even very fit women do not), the increase in caloric after burn is pretty limited.  Of the researchj articles I have on this topic, the only one I could find on the web is:
www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/epocarticle.html

There might be others on the web, of course, that I have not seen.  Once I had seen 4 studies that all indicated the amount of additional calories burned per pound of muscle was pretty minimal (especially when resting metabolic rate is factored in), I suspended researching it.

That is not to say that there is no value in having mroe muscle, fo course... just that the whole "muscle burns more calories than fat" is not especially true.

Edited to add that, for people who do not want to wade through the entire article, the bottom line is that the intensity of your workout is FAR more important in determining how long your metabolism is raised after exercise than the amount of muscle you have.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics