Different Reactions to the Surgery

Sherrie P.
on 7/30/12 10:58 am
RNY on 02/06/13
At my psych consult the therapist asked if I had told anyone and what was the reaction.

Long story short....

I have told 3 heavy people and ALL THREE of them had the same reaction "Really? Why? You are doing so well on your latest diet. You aren't THAT big..."  Okay, first of all these people have known me for TEN YEARS and I am almost as heavy as I have ever been.  I am 35 pounds heavier now than I was 10 years ago.  Uhm, yeah, I am THAT big - or I wouldn't qualify!!  Then they launch into these stories of so-and-so regaining...

The 3 thin people I told at work all had the same reaction too... VERY positive.  They thought it was a great idea. Wished me the best and told me they had heard the surgery had come a long way --

Apparently thin people are ok if you want to join their club.  ;-)

Then I had a person I just met (daughter of work friend who had WLS) tell me that she has lost several of her heavy friends.  She has lost 158 pounds in 11 months.  Went from a 26 to a 10.  My inspiration!!

Did anyone turn their back on you???  Some of my best friends are my size. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

BeansOnToast
on 7/30/12 11:08 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 That's horrible. :( I have a few friends that are chubby, but none are nearly as big as I am. I'd be devastated if I lost anyone though. But honestly, if they're only with you because yore unhealthy like them, is that what you really wanna surround yourself with? On the other hand, I see what you're saying. I pray I don't have that problem to face and hopefully you don't, either. Just remember how healthy and happy you're gonna be. That's how I'm dealing with the night (surgery is in 12 hours. Lol) best of luck to you though!
Price S.
on 7/30/12 11:35 am - Mills River, NC
i got nothing but positive, at least to my face.  After I lost all my weight, I did have some folks tell me they were worried about me but didn't want to discourage me.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Marilyn101
on 7/30/12 12:05 pm - FL
I am sorry you experienced that. I had nothing but positive reactions from my friends and family. Stay positive remember you are doing this for you.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/30/12 12:08 pm
Of the literally hundreds of people who know, I've had a sum total of two have a negative reaction. They are both morons (not just because of the negative reaction, but just because they are). One told me some stupid grapevine story about her cousin's next-door-neighbor's best friend's dog's niece who GAINED ALL HER WEIGHT BACK. D'oh!

The other moron is my stepdad. He earns moron status because he tried to talk my husband into talking me out of surgery, as if that would have worked. He too was convinced I'd gain all my weight back. Thanks for the vote of confidence there, buddy!

Anyhoo, people WILL treat you differently. It is still an adjustment for me to no longer be invisible. I still identify with the biggest folks in the room, my tribe, but they don't with me.

No one has turned their backs on me. Except the two morons, everyone has cheered me on.
poet_kelly
on 7/30/12 12:13 pm - OH
No, no one turned their backs on me.  I understand that sometimes happens but it doesn't make sense to me.  I really don't think any of my friends are that concerned with my size.  They seem to care about me just as much whether I'm fat or thin or somewhere in the middle.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bugsmommy
on 7/30/12 2:09 pm
Positive reactions except one "friend"....who told me, you know you aren't going to be able to eat yummy food anymore....or drink tequila anymore...what are you going to do at parties? I'm sad for you.....

Yes I'm going to make life changes, no I'm not going to drink like I occasionally froyo, yes my food choices will need to be different.

Another friend said that he thought I wasn't going to have the surgery (we discussed it sometime in our 14 year friendship) but later expressed his concern for me having any surgery and we had a real conversation about it.

Cherie
LiciaLou
on 7/30/12 4:58 pm - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Oddly enough, the people who are negative when I tell them have been chunky as well.

One is a pretty good friend. I honestly think her hangups stem from jealousy. She has repeatedly told me she is too scared & she doesn't know how I can go through with it but then tells me how great I am going to look when the weight comes off.
When I have answered any question or concern she has; she always follows it up with something else. Which is no big deal. I'm not trying to convert people to the Church of WLS; I just didnt want her ruling out something beneficial to her if it was based on unfounded or outdated fears.
The other negative nellies were from professionals. One is my advisor at school (I only told her in case I collapse in class & they need to kno wth is wrong with me) & the other was my nurse at the PCP's office.

Weird. I haven't had anyone turn their back on me yet but honestly, I can't wait until I start looking great & it will burn my aunt's rear end. That's goin to be a good day lol.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 151 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views