Hey Vitamin Gurus... what do you think about these...

Sherrie P.
on 8/2/12 1:02 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
http://www.bariatricfusion.com/

These look pretty good to me, but y'all are the experts.

I am trying to find a good chewable for at least the begininng.  With the Lapband, pills stress me out!!  I hope that is not the case with RNY.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/2/12 1:19 pm, edited 8/2/12 1:20 am - OH
Do you realize that you need to take FOUR of these per day to get in the 200% of the RDA as is recommended for us? (Even the info on their website indicates gastric bypass dosage is four tablets.) That makes these MUCH more expensive than other multivitamins.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sherrie P.
on 8/2/12 10:09 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
Yes I saw that. My friend takes these.  But she does not have to take a calcium supplement too.  And she says they taste like sweet tarts. 

It would be $29.99 per month, essentially - and SH.

Do you think it is enough calcium to not have to take anything else?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/2/12 10:27 pm, edited 8/2/12 10:27 pm - OH
You will still need additional calcium. Number one, the calcium in these is a combination of three kinds of calcium and the only kind we can really absorb is the calcium citrate. Number two, even if all of the calcium was citrate, that would only be 1200mg per day which is not enough. We need at least 1500.

My Centrum only costs me about $11 for 2 months... That $30 per month adds up over time!

Lora

Sherrie P.
on 8/2/12 11:11 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
This is what I find so interesting about this site.

I mean, she was told by her surgeon that she only needs to take 4 of these a day with a sub B.  Nothing else.

It can be very confusing to have conflicting advice.  I mean did this company really develop a vitamin that was inappropriate for bariatric patients?  That seems counter productive.

I am by no means defending these vitamins -- I am just looking for a chewable vitamin and the less I have to consume the better.

Duke does not recommend brands.  They gave me a list of what the vitamin should have in it.

Is your Centrum chewable?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/2/12 11:26 pm - OH
I stick with the advice of the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) and they indicate taht we need 200% of the USRDA of most vitamins and more calcium citrate than in thsoe vitamins.

It is not that their vitamin in "inappropriate" for bariatric patients (well, the calcium is), but it is incomplete.  If you compare the contents of these to the contents of Centrum chewables, you will see that there is nothing particularly special about them (except their price).  Keep in mind that companies are businesses... they exist primarily to make money.  Helping people be healthy is secondary.

Lora

poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 11:30 pm - OH
The ASMBS says we need 200% of the RDA of most things, which means you'd need EIGHT of these a day.

The ASMBS also says we need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate a day and four of these gives you only 1200 mg calcium, some of which is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.

Yes, this company developed a vitamin that was inappropriate for bariatric patients.  Their goal is to make money, not to keep us healthy.  Many patients buy this inappriopriate vitamin and even some surgeons tell them it's OK to take it, so it's not counterproductive, it makes the company money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 8/3/12 12:56 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Thanks! Glad I asked. 

If y'all say Centrum chewable will do it -that works for me. 

Duke also recommends 2000 mg of calcium citrate, so I thought the numbers on the fusiion did not quite match up.  Good lord I don't want to take 8 of anything!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/3/12 12:55 am - OH
Sorry, realized I did not answer the last question.  I take both chewable and regular Centrum (sometimes I just get tired of chewables) and have since about 6 months out.  I also take regular and the "silver" version. Sometimes I buy chewables from Celebrate just because I want a change of flavor.

Lora

poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 11:30 pm - OH
Actually we would need to take EIGHT a day to get 200%.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 120 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views