Did your taste buds change ... in reverse?

Sherrie P.
on 8/5/12 10:36 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I have heard a lot of people say that they no longer like certain things after surgery and their taste buds change.

I am wondering if anyone did not like something before surgery...and ended up liking it after.

For example, I hate hate hate fish.  I really wish I liked it -- I got to wondering if my taste buds can change so I no longer like certain foods, maybe it could go the other way?

Anyone experience this?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Melissa G.
on 8/5/12 10:40 am - Littleton, CO
RNY on 02/27/12
It has happened to me I didn't like cottage cheese before surgery and now I actually like the taste.

The other way was popcorn, I loved popcorn before surgery, now it tastes weird and butter flavored is just plain gross.

Hopefully you will like fish after surgery.

Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 8/5/12 11:26 am - OH
Before surgery I thought yogurt was just OK, but now I love it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Zeigled
on 8/5/12 11:26 am - Parkton, MD
So far it hasn't really happened.  I say really because it's not that I don't like the taste - I just don't like the result.  I used drink a lot of skim milk pre surgery. Now I get really nauseous.  So I still like milk but since I get nauseous, I don't like it.

I still don't like broccoli or fish.
HW 357 SW 341   

BWB
on 8/5/12 11:29 am
I lost my sense of taste for a short time.  I think it has returned to almost normal.  Some former favorites just don't appeal to me anymore. 

mat0174
on 8/5/12 11:42 am
I think the taste buds thing is the power of aversion therapy. I used to love grilled bratwurst, makes me nauseous just thinking about it now. But like you, I don't like fish, still dont. You cant get me to eat seafood of it was the last thing on the planet, I'd rather starve. Now I have found myself enjoying a lot blander food than before surgery, I used to put hot sauce or salt on everything, couldn't stand weak flavors, now, I prefer them, and dont like thigs too salty or spicy.
BugdocMom
on 8/5/12 1:32 pm - CA
I used to despise mango, cauliflower, and refried beans. Now I ADORE them! I also LOVE broccoli and steak, whereas I just tolerated them pre-op. On the other side, I used to eat everything with ground beef, spaghetti, chili, taco salad... Now, I can't stand anything with ground beef. I am sad to say goodbye to so many old favorites:( But I love my new faves and now I look forward to trying things as if I had never tasted them before.
happy_baker
on 8/5/12 1:38 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 Sushi.   Before, I would eat it on rare occasion, and in small amounts.
Now, I find myself hitting up the local sushi bar several times a month. Sometimes I crave it. 

And iced tea.  Same as with the sushi. I'd have it now and then, it was good. Not my favorite drink ever, but good. Now I could live on it.  I have a gallon pitcher in my fridge at all times. 
I think because I gave up soda entirely, iced tea is a sort of replacement. Gives me a little caffeine, and that little touch of sweetness (I use Sweet n Low) without the bubbly, sugary acidity of soda. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
TTBoogu
on 8/5/12 3:20 pm - Nashville, TN
yes amazingly my taste buds did change! My surgeon told me it would happen and I didn't really believe him. 

So I used to love chicken could eat it every day, multiple times a day, fried, baked, grilled etc. Now chicken tastes like paste to me.  LOLOL  Unless its like in chicken noodle soup or something that its blended in, I can't take it plus it hurts going down. 

Now I dispised oatmeal before didn't like the taste and could almost gag while trying to eat it. Now I can actually eat a few teaspoons of it at a time. 

I always like spicy food but now I want everything spicy!  I add more cayenne pepper, crused red peppers & jalepenos to all kinds of things. 

Tammy TTBoogy

HW - 464/PW - 441.5/SW-428/PW - 211
HW= Highest Weight/PW=Weight I started Program/SW=Surgery Weight/PW=Present Weight

Sherry T.
on 8/5/12 10:30 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
The only noticeable thing right now is Peanut Butter...I LOVVVVVVE it!  Now it tastes like burnt peanuts.   Hoping that will change in time....I hate fish too....hoping I can try it again and like it....hubby cooked him some one evening and I had just eaten and there was no way I was getting another bite of anything in......also bought som albacore tuna to fix up for lunch one day.  :)  Good Luck!!  Sherry
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 142 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views