Storing Taco Casserole

Sherry T.
on 8/8/12 5:04 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
What's the best way you've found to freeze Taco Casserole?  I made the 9 x 13 pan this time and I know that I need to go ahead and freeze over half.  I don't have a food saver....been storing up those cups from the Chinese place when we ordered soup.  Or would ziploc baggies be sufficient?   Trying to keep ice and water from freezing in there.   Thanks!!  Sherry
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/8/12 5:07 am - Baltimore, MD
Before I got a food saver I wrapped slices in plastic wrap them put those in a freezer bag.

Any way you do it you're going to get SOME condensation which is what leads to the freezer fuzz but it is greatly minimized that way. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

hedrider
on 8/8/12 5:20 am - Midlothian, TX
 Where do you get your bags?  I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.  I just get them at WalMart because it's usually "oh crap we're outta bags" and I'm sitting here with 40 pounds of raw meat.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/8/12 5:26 am - Baltimore, MD
 Same. I haven't found anywhere cheaper.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Sherry T.
on 8/8/12 5:26 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Thanks!  We wrap our raw meat that way and it does last longer....now that it's cooled, should be a pretty simple process!    Thanks Nik! It was soooo good and very filling!!   Sherry
hedrider
on 8/8/12 5:19 am - Midlothian, TX
 I let mine cool, slice it into servings and place it on a cookie sheet.  I put this in the freezer to partially freeze before I wrap it in foil.  It just makes it easier to wrap when it's pre-frozen.  If you can minimize the air inside the wrap then you can prevent most of the crystallization.

You could use ziplock bags, and use a straw to suck a lot of the air out of it like a cheapo food saver.  :)
Heather

Sherry T.
on 8/8/12 5:28 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Thank you! I may talk my Mom out of the one she has...my Dad bought it before he passed away and she doesn't cook at all anymore.  Or very little to say the least.   Sure would save us for food we are just tossing.   
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/8/12 5:35 am - Baltimore, MD
 I FLOVE that thing. (Yes, I did say "flove")

hedrider
on 8/8/12 5:58 am - Midlothian, TX
 Me too!  We used to toss all kinds of frozen meats because of freezer burn.  Not so much anymore.  I don't use it for anything but the raw meat though.  It seems a lot more pricey than just using foil or saran wrap.
Heather

Cheryl N.
on 8/8/12 5:39 am - Des Moines, WA
I haven't had the chance to freeze them, but I do keep it covered in foil and it lasts maybe 4 days at most and it gets all used up!! YUM YUM YUM

Addicting, isn't it? ;) 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views