I am cancelling my trip... do you agree???

Sherrie P.
on 8/9/12 6:28 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
So my RNY was scheduled later than I had hoped.  He did not have any sooner dates. I am on for 9/14.
The reason I wanted it earlier is that I am supposed to go to Puerto Rico on business 10/11.

I would be 3 1/2 weeks-4 weeks post op.

This just seems like a bad idea.  Partly because we are basically held captive all day every day during and in between meetings.  We are fed 3 times a day catered meals and I just don't think it is wise to put myself in this situation so early out.  Not to mention every night is a tempting open-bar dessert fest!!

thoughts?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

BWB
on 8/9/12 6:35 pm
I agree, it would be a nightmare, for me anyway. Your pouch will not be completely healed and you could have complications in an unfamiliar place.

rynbiz
on 8/9/12 6:38 pm - Surprise, AZ
IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR PAIN TOLERANCE. HAD RNY MONDAY JUST GOT HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL AND WALKED ACROSS THE STREET TO GE****ER AND i AM SPENT NOW WHEN IM 14 DAYS OUT I START MY FALL SEMESTER IN COLLEGE SO iTS YOUR CHOICE BUT U WILL GET TIRED QUICKER JUST BECAUSE THE FIRST WEEK TO TWO WEEKS YOUR LIVING OFF WATER JELLO AND PROTEIN SHAKES

owlisn
on 8/9/12 6:40 pm - NC
 If they can make it without you, then yes, cancel. I hate to pass up trips to cool places, but in this case, it might not be fun anyway.

At 4 weeks post-op, dessert was not even a temptation for me, nor was catered food.  I did an all-day meeting like that with no problem.  Just let them know your dietary restrictions and they should be able to accomodate, or sneak off to have your meal your way.

We can always talk you through it if you decide to go.  Living amongst the normal bellied will get more comfortable as you go along.
Allison

artroxy blue
on 8/9/12 6:41 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I agree. I had to bail on my trip to San Francisco to visit family at the end of this month. I just didn't think I'd be in the best condition to walk everywhere and meet all of my nutritional needs that early out from surgery. I'm sure I would have managed a work-around (premixing my protein shakes, bringing plenty of water, etc.), but I wouldn't be able to enjoy my vacation. I'd be a prisoner of the clock. 

It all worked out, though. They're coming out this way in October, so I'm hoping I'll be back to a somewhat of a regular diet by then. 
Sherrie P.
on 8/9/12 7:28 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
The bright side is, if I skip this one, I can go to Vegas in December. I will be plenty far enough out for that one.

I have been to Vegas a bunch - but I like to travel.  It isn't the Ritz in Puerto Rico - but I think I need to make a good pouch decision. 

Thanks for the advice.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/9/12 7:30 pm, edited 8/9/12 12:30 am - Baltimore, MD
I think you made the first of what will be many good "little" decisions for yourself that tend to propel you to goal. Congratulations!
MrsLitch
on 8/9/12 7:31 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Personally I would have gone at 4 weeks out but only you know how well you recuperate and what you think you can handle. I would pack my protein mix and go. I photographed a 12 hour wedding at 12 days post op. It was difficult but not impossible and I ate at the reception. I did however carry protein powder and water to drink in between the different parts of the day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Jillychilly
on 8/9/12 8:51 pm - Cedar Rapids, IA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I opted not to do my trip to Orlando for the Vera Bradley experience because I think it would be too close to after my surgery.  Hate to miss it, but thems the breaks
chatterpam
on 8/10/12 10:02 am - PA
At 3 weeks out I barely had enough energy to get myself out of bed and showered. My bowels were doing all kinds of weird things (that's were the "never trust a fart in the first year" saying comes from) and I got sick on nearly everything I put in my stomach. While some people have no problems, some of us do. The last place I would want to be is somewhere other than the comfort of my own home. I wish you the very best!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 7 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views