Confused about fruit, veggies and milk!!!

Mamazoune
on 8/22/12 9:11 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Well four wks ago today I had my revision to RNY.  I am feeling great actually and up to now, I thought I was following all directions.  I have no problem getting in my protein in the only food aversion I discovered was cold cereal soaked in milk (painful) and pre-made protein shakes....just can't do it.  I had a three week Optifast and liquid diet prior to surgery and although I did lose about 12 lbs, I found it terribly difficult to get the shakes down and now I wretch if I try putting them down the hatch.    So I make my own according to the recipe provided by the nutritionist BUT it has fruit and milk.  The scale didn't move for me in week 3 so I started to worry that I was doing something wrong and have been reading up on these forums only to find that in a lot of cases, Dr`s are not recommending fruit, veggies or milk for an extended amount of time post-op.  I am down about 25 lbs, 13 lbs being after surgery and I am in week 4, am I doing something wrong?  I mean, I'm a big girl and it just seems to me that 13 lbs in 4 weeks isn't that much compared to others.  And, according to the instructions by this point I can have cooked pureed vegetables, fruit, mashed potato, 1% milk etc...Why are post-op instructions so different?  Should I be limiting fruits and veggies, yogurt and milk?....I love my homemade protein shakes and have no problem eating pureed meats etc..am I overeating?  I am so confused and my appointment with the NUT isn't until October 26th!  Looking for constructive feedback.
Mamazoune                
Vivian Prouty
on 8/22/12 9:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
 First off....QUIT COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS !!!!  Sorry to do all caps...but I want you to know that is a NO-NO !!!   Everyone is different and everyone looses at a different pace.   For now...put the scale away and don't weight.     Also you didn't say how much you are eating.    Are you aware that several of the bariatric vendors....Kays Naturals.....Focus 21 and several others have protein teas and other protein drinks that are NOT milk based.    Lots do Click which is coffee based protein drinks.    If you have questions...Call your surgeon's office also.   That is what you are paying them for.    You need to go by what they tell you and ONLY go by that.   All surgeons are different none are exactly the same.   You need to be asking their office these questions.   Please don't get upset by me saying these things but trust me I have YOUR best interest at heart.    There are NO set weight to lose a week by any surgeon's standards.   Look at the LONG TERM picture.   As long as you are doing as your surgeon tells you and not straying away from that....the weight should and will come off.   Don't focus on how fast or slow it is coming off...the main thing is you are losing.   There will be times when the scale is not moving but you will be losing inches then.   Also you did not mention exercising.    You NEED to at least walk to have the program work for you in the LONG TERM.    This journey will NEVER END that you are on....after the WL comes the HARD PART...maintance.   But  you will do fine as long as you follow the rules.   If you ever hit a plateau and that will happen....I can give you a plateau busters diet if you PM me.   Good luck to you and please call your surgeon and take only their advice.    Good luck my friend and I know you will do amazing on this journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/22/12 9:26 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey Mama,

I don't have any way of answering most of your questions as I don't know how much you are eating (at a sitting or calories in a day). I can say many surgeons limit fruits and veggies because of how hard they can be to digest and also to try to get you to focus on the protein first rule.

That's where you should focus as well. Of course fruits and veggies are not bad but they either need to be paired with protein (chicken/veggie casseroles and the like) OR not consumed until AFTER your protein and only IF you have room for them. That's a drag, I know.

Milk is a form of protein but it has more carbs than protein. That's not bad but we each have to make our own decision about milk. I do milk-based protein shakes. I know some post-ops who don't drink milk or do dairy products at all (even if they are not vegetarian or vegan).

The other thing that you didn't mention is how much you are moving? Are you exercising?
Hollie313
on 8/22/12 9:27 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I was drinking skim milk in the hospital the day after.  I drink at least 16 oz of skim milk
every single day, so I don't think that is a problem.  Are you measuring your food?

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

artroxy blue
on 8/22/12 9:30 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Probably not. I know my dietician's plan calls for soft fruits and cooked veggies, as tolerated, starting week 3-4. Everyone's plans are different because everyone's surgical teams have different methods of getting the same results--losing weight while maintaining high nutrient guidelines.

It's probably more important that you get yogurt, milk and pureed fruit in rather than limiting it. Over time, however, you may need to watch the natural sugars more closely. There is no crystal ball to tell us what works today, may not work tomorrow, so just be cognizent of it.

From what I understand, right around Week 3 is when most people stop losing for a short period. Remember, your body has to play catch-up with the fast weight loss. It's not like before where you would see a steady weight loss, then hit a plateau. You're going full-speed ahead, and your body is saying, "Hey! What the...? Wait for me!!" 

Don't worry...it sounds like you're doing great with 25lbs. down in 3 weeks! It will start up again. 
Larry Wassmann
on 8/22/12 9:34 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I can't tell you how may people don't lose or even gain on week 3. I did. It will pick up don't worry. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

cajungirl
on 8/22/12 2:43 am, edited 8/22/12 2:45 am
Don't compare yourself to others, we each lose differently.  So you've lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks an average of 3.25 lbs per week.  That is an average weight loss; you say you are "a big girl" and I understand I felt that way too.  100 lbs is actually considered a light weight in the WLS world.

Doctors are just different, I do believe many choose their patent's plans based on the success they've seen within their system.  My plan was 100% different than what the majority of I saw 7 years ago and today.

Follow your plan.  What I found for me personally was lower carb, high protein the first 6 months and learning to listen to my pouch, measure, and log were optimum to losing.

I don't think you are over eating however can you give us an idea of what your daily food plan is and you may get better feedback from others.

Oh and also you are a revision.  Revisions in general tend to lose slower than a virgin surgery.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Mamazoune
on 8/22/12 10:18 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hi there,

Feeling good about the feedback...a little more information about me- I was banded in 2007 and had it removed in an emergency surgery in 2011.  RNY revision was on August 1st, 2012.  I am active and moving in fact I have been going for daily 30 minute walks and am doing light housekeeping, going up and down stairs on purpose, not saving steps.  It's much easier this week.  I start my day off with my shake- 1 scoop of soy protein powder, ice, 1/2 cup of 1% milk, 3 small strawberries and 1/3 of a small banana- put it in the magic bullet and it is delicious (I have one in the evening too.  Lunch will usually be 1/2 cup of soup or 1/3 to 1/2 can of meat flakes of chicken, salmon or flakes of ham mixed in the bullet with a tbs of mayo.  Dinner will usually be a boiled egg mixed with mayo-again in the bullet with a melba toast.  Snack is usually a small container of yogurt.  I did mix some mash patatoes (2 tbs) with my meat last night and warmed it up...ate it all (dinner).  And I had pureed carrots, broccoli and cauliflower( 2 tbs) but couldn't fini****

I WILL stop comparing myself to others but it's easy to do on this forum...I do need to drink more water and am working on this...and protein first I know :)  I will follow the program but will most likely take up the offers for more tips on exercise and foodie issues as time goes on.  Thanks for your responses...puts things into perspective!
Mamazoune                
Most Active
Recent Topics