Everything tastes like crap...

TJTorre
on 8/27/12 3:26 pm - OR
RNY on 08/21/12
I'm only 6 days out, so I'm really hoping that this might just be some residual effect from the surgery, although, I have read that tastes change.  At this point I dont want to put anything in my mouth... everything has this terrible underlying "flavor."  I feel like I need to start brushing my teeth and tongue with baking soda and peroxide, without the fancy toothpaste to try to get my mouth back to normal.  Any ideas?
    Don't trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment!

Dee.spunk
on 8/27/12 3:29 pm - Sacramento, CA
I carried around mints. But yeah, everything tasted like top ramen to me, which I couldn't stand. Even people smelled like top ramen. I hated it! Took about two months for it to go away.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

SarahLee1969
on 8/27/12 3:43 pm - NY
Does your tongue have a white coating to it? If so you have thrush- call your surgeons office for some meds to treat it. I had it about a week or so after my RNY. Not sure, but I think for me it was a combination of factors:IV antibiotics during surgery, meds that dry up secretions (ie dry mouth that lasted 2days), decreased immune functioning due to surgery and decreased activity, etc, etc. Once I got on the meds my sense of taste returned to "normal" within a day or so. "Normal" postop is a bit more vivid with an acute sense of smell, at least for me right now
owlisn
on 8/27/12 4:08 pm - NC
 You're in ketosis, so the taste is due to that.  It will get better.  Brushing my teeth was the first thing I did on the day after surgery.  Yuch!
Allison

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/27/12 4:51 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
If your tongue is coated , it is thrush , you need to get Nystatin from your doc , it is from the antibiotics.
If you don't have that it could be ketosis, but regardless you HAVE to get in your fluids and eat what is on your plan.
I had thrush after RNY and got meds right away , I had it after banding 7 years ago and suffered with it for 2 years , my tongue was black and hairy...my pcp ( former) threw up his hands said he didn't know what it was...I KNEW WHAT IT WAS , had to get the script from his NP , I NEVER went back to that dork , found myself someone who might actually care

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/12 5:37 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
I had surgery on the same day as you and don't seem to have  a problem with tasting things but I do like to have one of those really tiny SF altoid smalls after I've had my protein shake. Those seem to make my mouth feel better after the pasty feeling from the shake and haven't bothered my stomach-I only have 1 or 2 a day. Brushing helps too.
Most Active
Recent Topics