Othrostatixhypertension question.

DannyBoyDVG
on 9/4/12 8:49 pm - AR
i have had this for about a month now actually diagnosed by the doctor. My biggest concern is that its preventing me from exercise. I walked not jogged not ran just walked a mile on the treadmill stepped off and hit the ground because my blood pressure dropped so fast and it happened every time i go from sitting/laying to standing but i wasn't prescribed anything to help. Have any of you had this if so how did you deal with it? (if it helps im about 7 months out and about 165 lbs down actually under my goal)

qnmimi
on 9/4/12 8:57 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
The best advice would be slowly change your position, and do not rapidly move until your body has adjusted...usually takes a minute or so. Make sure before you are exercising you are well hydrated. Increasing your salt intake might help as well. Unfortunately there isn't a magic pill that will help this, it's mostly controlling your body's movement.
Ladytazz
on 9/4/12 9:59 pm
I have very low blood pressure, too.  It does get better.  I used to get very dizzy everytime I stood up.  Now it's just occasionally.  The only thing I was ever told to do was eat more salt.  I don't really like salty things so that takes an effort.  I don't even think I own a salt shaker.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dave Chambers
on 9/4/12 10:55 pm - Mira Loma, CA

In my case, my low bp caused severe dizzy spells. I had to hold onto hand rails, shopping carts, chairs, etc. to prevent falling. A few times I just sat down to prevent falling.  My issue would happen anytime anywhere. I could be just sitting in a chair, standing and talking to a family member, shopping--nothing streneous going on at all.  My issue was only resolved with a pacemaker implant and going back on bp meds.  My issue was not constant so it was difficult to detect the severity. Diagnosis on a Thursday, implant the following Tuesday, over 5 years ago now.  No more issues since implant either. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

BugdocMom
on 9/5/12 12:29 am - CA
I have had low pressure since the moment I got RNY bypass surgery. It was controllable with increased salt and fluids and watching my movements (no long hot baths, shorter periods of exercise, getting up slowly). Then, since about 9 months out, as I reached goal and continued to lose, it got worse and worse and really impacted my quality of life. It was dangerously low-- 60's over 40's in general. My PCP has been trying everything to treat it but has wanted to avoid bp meds, stating that they wreak havoc with your electrolytes, which are already wonky since surgery. So, the first try was upping salt, fluids, and caffeine. Can't complain about a prescription for coffee;) It hadn't helped, so she decided to try Effexor. It's a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) class antidepressant that is known to have the side effect of increasing blood pressure. She was hoping to increase my energy and bp at the same time. It looked like it may work, but the side effects we wretched-- anxiety, breathlessness, chest pain, UGH! So, she tried Pristiq, a metabolite of Effexor that would work the same way. I have been on it for a few months and did see energy improvement immediately, but it also triggered anxiety and did nothing to raise the bp. But, she convinced me to stick with it for 6 more weeks and I'll be darned if I feel much better in the past few weeks. I am not sure if it is raising my bp, but the anxiety is gone and I haven't had dizzy spells or weakness (even when I exercise) in the past few weeks (except one weekend I just didn't keep up with my fluids-- my own fault). I actually have my follow up tomorrow and would not be surprised if my pressure is much better. I will definitely stay on the Pristiq a while longer in hopes that this is actually a fix.
Dolores L.
on 9/5/12 6:54 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

When you "hit the ground" after stopping exercise, it's because your pressure receptors in your carotid arteries are just doing their job. Their function is to keep blood flow to the brain. End result of going down is that your cerebral blood flow improves when your head is down. That's why it's better to get down rather than go down. Going down like that, you risk head injury. Even better is prevention. Until you have the root cause of your orthostasis teased out, you should probably avoid activities that precipitate it - even if it means staying off the treadmill for now.

You need to find out why this is happening. Others above have talked about some possible reasons, but the bottom line is that if hydrating, eating correctly and discontinuing any offending medications have not solved the problem, then you have to have the reason for the hypotension diagnosed so it can be treated. There are prescription medications that can effectively help with OH in addition to lifestyle measures.

If you are going to continue to use the treadmill in the meantime, consider getting thigh high compression stockings, maximize your nutrition and make sure you hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views