DENIED...AND IT IS BS!!!

Sherrie P.
on 9/6/12 12:25 pm, edited 9/5/12 7:09 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I am deleting this. Too much negativity and anxiety. Sorry I posted.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Jennifer P.
on 9/6/12 12:56 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 I understand you are upset.  I just want to ask a few questions as someone looking from the outside in.  

First - how did you gain 9 lbs in 2 weeks and why did you think that wasn't a problem?  I understand you weren't on a preop diet, but weren't you on a nutrition plan being that you have the band?  If you thought a formal diet was going to be given to you, why didn't you ask for one?  

The weigh in you had on Friday - a full bladder would not make a difference.  Lunch and a period, maybe so, but not your bladder.  Knowing you were going to be weighed, why didn't you wait to eat lunch?

I definitely would have been pissed about the packet sitting there waiting to be submitted for 2 weeks with no reason.  

PLEASE do not take my questions negatively or as if I'm drilling you.  I think you mean well, I just think there could be a little more positive attitude and focus and a little less excuses.  

I am not familiar with the peer review process, but I wish you the best of luck. 

Sherrie P.
on 9/6/12 1:22 pm, edited 9/5/12 6:35 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
Jennifer P.
on 9/6/12 1:29 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
They don't give you ANY sort of nutrition plan or make you see a nutritionist/dietician after having the lap band?  You don't follow any kind of food plan with it?  I'm not sure that makes sense.  I understand the yo yo part - been there done that, but that was my own fault because I'd eat well and then not eat well - causing the yo yo.  Knowing you were looking to be approved for surgery, wouldn't you try to lose weight?  Maybe I'm completely naive, but even over a 6 week period - gaining 9 lbs is a lot.  Again, I'm not trying to be rude or point fingers, just trying to understand.  

Best of luck to you!

wendydettmer
on 9/6/12 1:32 pm - Rochester, NY
 not everyone is required to lose weight for their surgery, or is given good pre op information.

i was very lucky - my center had a very comprehensive program and made it VERY clear at the first appointment that if i gained any weight, they would kick me out of the program (it wasn't an insurance thing, it was just their policy).  they were up front about everything, had a 3 hour nutrition seminar, monthly meetings, etc etc.

some people are not given any information.  just depends on who you go through.  if it's one thing i've learned from reading here this past year or so, is that every place is different, and it boggles my mind how little information so many people are given.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Sherrie P.
on 9/6/12 6:44 am, edited 9/6/12 7:09 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Thank you Wendy.

Edited: to be done.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 9/6/12 3:53 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
Oh no!!  I didn't get to read your original post before you deleted it, but I did read the 9lb gain the other day.  That sux that you weren't told NOT to gain weight.  Most surgeons/ins have you do a 3mth diet and 2wk liquid pre op, but I guess not all.  In all honesty, I think your surgeon and his office has failed you by not setting you up for approval.  There's really no sense in that.  Could you possibly find a different surgeon?  Would you even want to?  Hang in there and fight for what you want.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

Sherrie P.
on 9/7/12 4:17 am
RNY on 02/06/13
I lost 6 of the 9 and am within their guidelines. I was close - it was a bad time to weigh. 

I reweighed and was cleared, but ins already denied. 

moet321
on 9/6/12 6:49 pm
  Sorry to hear things are not going as planned. Keep your head up my friend. I'm praying for you!!! Things will be okay. It will work out. It's just time for plan B.... YOU CAN DO THIS SHERRIE!!!!! 
 Small changes today will impact the results I receive tomorrow...Taking this journey one day at a time ;) Moët 

Surgery Date 9/12/2012         
AmberF
on 9/6/12 7:35 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I had lapband 3 years ago and am in the proccess of revision to RNY. I actuallly called my Drs office today to see if the insurance had gotten back to them yet ( i have BCBS as well) I did have to see a nutritionist one time before my lapband and it lasted for about 20 minutes. I did not have a preop diet ( and my surgeon told me he had diffuculty because my liver was fattier than he thought it would be) but again he didnt put me on any preop diet except to not eat the night before. I also had about a half page sheet that told me I could have sf jello and broth. Basically what I could eat like the week after surgery but nothing other than that. So I didnt really know what the heck I was suppose to be eating and unfortunately I had a crap doctor and would have to wait 4 or 5 months to get an appointment with him. My fills never gave me any restriction and I have had nothing but issues. Thankfully I am with a new surgeon and praying that my revision gets apporvied. Im sorry that you are going through this I cant even begin to imagine how i will feel if they dont apporve this revison surgery for me. I will be praying for you! People who get a great surgeon are sooooo lucky! I felt completely alone and didnt know what to do and not do when it came to eating. After surgery I was in a very fragile state mentally I mean it was a huge deal to get the surgery and then I had no instructions.....I should have been more proactive about asking questions but my doctor was a big jerk and I felt super uncomfortable
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 29 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views