Anyone have/had ISB before/after RNY

clpower
on 9/15/12 3:31 pm - Pearland, TX
I am still waiting for my surgery date but am still researching everything that I can. I currently have IBS with bad colon spasms (I take Hyoscyamine). I am a little concerned that I will not be able to tell the difference between my IBS colon spasms or if there is something going on with my RNY surgery (pain or complications). Has anyone else had/have IBS and how did the RNY help or hurt?  
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 3:39 pm
I had severe IBS pre-op. It was really debilitating. It's completely gone post op. My theory is the inflamed part of my intestine is the same part of the intestine removed during RNY.
wmamey
on 9/15/12 5:53 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
Intestine isn't typically removed during surgery. Unless of course you had serious issues with your intestines they wouldn't have removed any.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 7:29 pm
Removed=removed from functioning. Bypassed.
wmamey
on 9/15/12 8:08 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
Gottcha!
I am glad you don't have problems with that still, I understand it can be VERY painful!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 9:04 pm
I should not post when I am exhausted. The thinking, it stops working.

I remember a couple of months living on pretzels and 7 Up. It was all I could tolerate. I remember alot of aching, burning, searing, cramping pain back then with everything I ate. But I knew where every single toilet in a 100 mile radius was! So, I'm glad too! 
Cherokeesage
on 9/15/12 6:26 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I had a band in 2008 with a revision to RNY Feb 2012.    I have Chron's disease and diverticulitis.  I've not had a flare up since the first surgery.  I believe the small protein first meals agree with my digestive system.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

clpower
on 9/15/12 8:47 pm - Pearland, TX
Thank you all for responding.  This gives me hope that I will not have issues after surgery (fingers crossed).
Jenn D.
on 9/16/12 12:56 am - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
I don't have IBS, but I am lactose-intolerant. I sometimes question whether my cramping and stomach aches are from the lactose-intolerant or from dumping syndrome, or surgery pain. Everything seems to have some form of lactose and it is hard to escape when trying to drink protein shakes. (I know there are soy proteins out there too.)

Good luck with everything and I hope your IBS gets better after the RNY. :)

jbuntyn
on 9/16/12 6:34 am - apple valley, MN
I never had IBS before surgery in fact I was the exact opposite haing to take miralax every day and being lucky if I had a BM every other day. Since about 3 days post op I have had diarhhea every day(sorry if this is TMI) 4-5 times a day, I had contacted one of the nurses regarding this and she said this was normal for bm's to change. This is still persisting and I called again on Fri and this nurse is now ordering tests to find out if I have colitis. Not sure how I feel about this... I know this doesnt really answer your ? about IBS but maybe its just another POV.
~JENN~

Most Active
Recent Topics