Please clarify - 3 months medically supervised weight loss & exercise program.

Lori Risner
on 9/20/12 2:57 pm - OR
RNY on 03/12/13
I am new to Obesity help.com.  My name is Lori and I am going to have a roux-en-y procedure done in the next few months.  I am on Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield (Standard).  My insurance company requires me to be on a medically supervised weight loss & exercise program for three months. 

So here's the dumb question...  I know the insurance company says three months, but my doctor's office is saying three visits separated by a month... 

My first appointment is on 9/24, next would be on or around 10/24,  and then the final around 11/24.  That is three visits but not three months... 

I would appreciate any information that you could share on any of your experiences...

Also, I am afraid if I lose any weight, the insurance company will say that I am able to do it without the surgery.  I hope not because history has shown with me, I just gain it all back and more.

Please help me! 
GraceGirl
on 9/20/12 6:52 pm
I have cigna and mine was 6 months of nutrition visits... And yes they were particular in dates 6 visits around the same date each month.

No they wont say that...its more or less to prove you are willing/able to follow a program.
very important to prepare....Life is quite different post RNY :)

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

ready2be140
on 9/20/12 6:56 pm - WA
RNY on 08/29/12
 I am with Aetna....and they dont count the "first" meeting as month 1....so with them,  you would go 4 times (or 4 months vs 3)....And with my surgeon, he required me to lose at least 30 pounds before surgery so that it would be "safer" so even though I was losing weight during my medically supervised/nutritional counseling , my insurance approved my request the first time submittted.    
Do the best you can during your 3 months to lose weight as it is helpful in the long run!!   
Best of luck to you! 
wendydettmer
on 9/20/12 7:01 pm - Rochester, NY
mine was the same way. i had three visits, with a month in between. there was a nutritional seminar before that. But, there was a wait time between the last visit and my surgery. after the nutritional, then i met with the surgeon, and i wasn't allowed to gain weight, so they counted that time as well.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/20/12 7:36 pm
I have BCBS and they have an 8 week requirement. So I had to go every two weeks for eight weeks. One visit a month sounds reasonable.

Don't worry too much about having them deny because you lost weight on the supervised diet. It's a criterion that many companies have, and it serves the purpose of helping you to learn how to eat after surgery.

good luck and keep us posted.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

vivking48
on 9/20/12 8:30 pm - MN
RNY on 08/01/12
I have Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield also.  I had 3 appointments with nutritionist.  Mid April, Mid May and mid June so really only two months and then the appt. with the surgeonwas made at the 3rd appt. for July 3rd.  The insurance person was on vacation so my paperwork wasn't submitted until July 18and I was approved on the 19th and had surgery on August 1.

Highh        

Elizabeth G.
on 9/21/12 5:31 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
Hi there!

I had the exact same worries as you with the same plan guidelines. Just like wendydettmer, I had 3 visits spaced by a month. If you are on the cusp of being ineligible if you lose weight, discuss this with your doc. I am not so if I lost 5 lbs or 50 lbs during the pre-op diet, I'd still qualify. Talk with your doctor about all of your concerns as well as the surgeon's office. They know best how to navigate the system.

Good luck!

Liz
2legit2quit
on 9/21/12 8:50 am - MS
RNY on 10/24/12
You'll have go a total of 4 visits(12/24).  I had to do a 6 month.
Lori Risner
on 9/21/12 12:26 pm - OR
RNY on 03/12/13
Thank you so much for all of your help.  I really appreciate hearing about all of your experiences!  You all are doing amazing!  I am so looking forward to a new leash on life.  I am 41 yrs old (5'4" and 234) Ugh... 

Before....  My wanting to lose weight was for vanity, now it's about just living.  Sure... I would love to look better, but I am ok with the person that I am.  There is more to me than my body.  I am sick of feeling like a prisoner.  I am sure you all can relate to the feeling.  I don't like having high blood pressure, a fatty liver, pre-diabetic, and metabolic syndrome.  I just feel like if I don't do something, I am going to die early.  I cannot live my life to the fullest right now.  It's really realy sad - the damage that I have done to myself.  It's never too late though.

I know that the surgerywill only be a tool to help me get the weight off.  My mom had the surgery about 7 years ago.  She is living proof that if you do no****ch what you eat and exercise, you will gain.  She was 5'4" and 330 at her highest.  Her lowest was 170 and now she is about 215.  So, I know this surgery will help me but will not fix my head..  Best of luck to you all!  Please add me as a friend.  I don't have any friends on here!  : )

Lori 
BWB
on 9/21/12 12:45 pm
 I had 3 visits in 3 months requirement + 25lbs loss.  Due to vacation schedules (the doctor), additional cardio tests, etc. my date ended up taking 4 1/2 months.  It really didn't make any difference because I kept up with the liver reduction diet and lost 35 lbs before surgery.  Don't stress out over a few delays it happens.