Hair Loss--what's a girl to do?

Sherry T.
on 10/8/12 5:57 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I know this has been posted and discussed but has anyone really found anything to help?  Would eating over 80 grams of protein a day help?  Anything?   I can still pull it back in a pony tail but it's getting sparse on the top....my Granny had thin hair anyway and now my Mom....so between this and heredity....good lawd I am WORRIED.   I have been taking all my vitamins...got off track a little with the calcium when I was moving but nothing else.  If it's gets much thinner I will have to go back to a short haircut but right now when I wa****I have to curl it to give it some volume or I look like a drowned fat rat....suggestions?

Thanks! 

Sherry

Dave Chambers
on 10/8/12 6:04 am - Mira Loma, CA

From your surgery date, it appears you're in the "window" for hair loss. Virtually all post ops suffer from some degree of hair loss. Of the over 200 women RNY patients I personally know---all of them have had their hair grow back, except one. And this woman recently commented at a support meeting that her hair has been very very thin her whole life. She's about 19 months post op and she has decided to wear a wig.  And yes, the majority of women do get shorter hair cuts during hair loss months and it helps the new hair growth blend in easier.  This is only a temporary issue, compared to being healthy for the rest of your life.  Small trade off. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sherry T.
on 10/8/12 6:17 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Totally agree Dave!! 
lumina99
on 10/8/12 6:07 am - ME
 My sister is a dietician and she says Biotin works. My client had gastric bypass, and she was losing a lot of hair, so she also was told eat the protien you`re supposed to, take your vitamins every day-and not kid vitamins (gummies)or Flinstones. Real adult vitamins that have the right amount of vit and nutrients for an adult. Your Dietician or doctor must have prescribed something special for you. I`m sure it`s a deficiency of something. Good luck, and after my client started the Biotin, her hair did thicken up again!! But it doesn`t happen overnight. Good luck Sherry!
Sherry T.
on 10/8/12 6:18 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/12 8:18 am
Not too much though. Excesses of it cause unwanted side effects like cystic acne. Thin hair AND acne?! I don't think anyone misses being a teenager that much.

Biotin mostly aids in regrowth anyway.
BugdocMom
on 10/8/12 6:07 am - CA

Yep, hair loss is often just part of the process.  I DO think getting in adequate protein can HELP, but it doesn't look like there is really anything you can do to prevent or stop it. Despite taking biotin since 6 months before surgery, I still had lots of hair loss and I am certainly not alone. I lost TONS of hair from 6 weeks to about nine months. It WAS frightening, but all is well now.

When I had lost enough that my hair was really limp and the thinning showed, I got it cut into a short, cute little bob. That helped a lot for a while. I felt much prettier. But eventually the texture got weird, kind of witchy. So my stylist recommended some fancy salon products (Aveda Smooth Infusion shampoos and conditioner and styling products). I was surprised, but they worked GREAT!!! Really helped my hair feel and look better. By about 9 months out, hair was still falling out a little but new hairs were growing back in faster. I had little baby hairs poking out all over my head. Got another, even shorter haircut to normalize everything and a couple months later, I am back to normal! Now it seems like it was no big deal;)

I have also heard that Joan Rivers has a product that makes hair appear thicker and folks say it really works. Hang in there, it's temporary.

JillieJill
on 10/8/12 6:19 am - NJ
 i got a shorter cut....and i had lost some weight where my face looked alot better.  it also helped with the trauma of washing my hair and having long strands come out in my fingers.  
-Jill
swoozieq67
on 10/8/12 6:26 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Jill,

LOL, I did the excat same thing! I had t cut into a very super short, almost buzz cut pixie! I get more compliments on my short hair then I ever did when it was halfway down my back! I love my new short do.

~Susie

ShebasMom
on 10/8/12 6:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I had 2 more surgeries (knee and gallbladder)  after my rny last year, and I had hair loss with them as well. My hair was thick before,  so I had it cut shorter and layered. I make sure I get in >80 grams of protein and take biotin daily for regrowth.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?