Travel Advice

Sherrie P.
on 10/20/12 10:18 am
RNY on 02/06/13
I am hoping my appeal with be approved. They have to tell me yes or no by next Wednesday according to BCBS.  Thinking positive and looking for a "yes" - means I have to figure out when to schedule surgery.

I have a business trip to NYC that I can cancel, but I don't want to on December 2nd.
I have a vacation that has been paid for since July to Mexico in January.

How long would you wait to travel. I will be on a plane for 5 hours and out of the country.

I am wondering if I need to wait until after all my travel is finished.  Sigh... I have waited this long. Which makes me wonder how long the approval will be "good" for.

Thanks for the input!!

Fingers crossed...

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

artroxy blue
on 10/20/12 10:41 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Personally, I'd wait about a month after surgery before traveling. You don't know how you're going to feel until after surgery. In my case, I felt good until I pulled a muscle, which set me back a week. 

ArwensRose
on 10/20/12 10:43 am, edited 10/20/12 10:44 am
RNY on 09/06/12
I was on a plane to Hawaii 3 weeks and one day after surgery.   I had no issues at all, other than the fact that I couldn't lift more than 5 pounds so my DH had to carry all the luggage.  i will say I was quite nervous about the travel and I think the only reason that it went well was that A. I had no complications in my surgery or recovery and B. I had a wonderful DH that wouldn't let me carry anything.  Its very very possible that as the PP mentioned that you could pull a muscle or do something to your stitches. 

Sherrie P.
on 10/20/12 1:53 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
Wow - Hawaii after three weeks.  Did you do okay eating?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

ArwensRose
on 10/20/12 2:01 pm, edited 10/20/12 2:02 pm
RNY on 09/06/12
I did, actually.  Though I was really freaked at first.  My plan had me going from pureed to soft foods the day we left.  So that opened up fish, and what perfect food to have in Hawaii!  I did scrambled eggs in the morning and fish pretty much all day long.  With yogurt and string cheese as a snack.  I did have pulled pork several times and that worked out as well. 

My only issues was that my protein powder started to make me have ooky stomach after the third day, so I ended up having to get protein elsewhere ... And that my vitamin b12's got soft in the humidity, so they were pretty gross by the time we came back

And of course I couldn't go into the water till the last two days, that part kind of sucked.

Honestly, it can be done, just prepare and plan ahead of time.  Its not optimal, I would have rather not gone so quickly afterward, but ... it CAN be done.  I was gone for 10 days to Hawaii, home for 2 and then gone to Connecticut again for 5 days.  I just packed lots of vitamins, protein drinks, etc. and made sure I had lots and lots of options at my disposal.  The people I visited in CT, went to the store and had me stocked up on greek yogurt before I even got there.  That helped a lot.

garnetgal
on 10/20/12 2:52 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
I was 7 weeks out and flew to California (7 hours total plane trip). The doctor required that I wear compression stockings during the flight as a precaution. Other than that I was gone 8 days and had a wonderful time!

Also I was told that my insurance approval was good for 1 year.

melaniepl
on 10/20/12 3:41 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
I was told not to travel by plane for 6 weeks. I had to cancel a trip to NYC, sad times.
"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 177 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views