HOLY COW THEY APPROVED MY APPEAL!!! Advice needed....

Sherrie P.
on 10/24/12 1:59 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Well, I got the call today that the Medical Director at BCBS overturned the denial and I am approved for Lap band removal and Revision to RNY.

Thanks for everyone's support and kindness here!!

Seeking advice on a surgery date...

Due to my work schedule, another little surgical procedure and family coming into town I cannot get it done before the week after Thanksgiving.

Do you think that is just too close to Christmas?  I am not really worried so much about missing Christmas dinner - but the extra stress of shopping for the kids, having out of town guests in, I am in charge of the office Christmas Party... the list of Holiday madness goes on.

Just wondering if you would go for it and get it done as soon as possible or wait until the season blows over. 

Thanks for your input!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

wendydettmer
on 10/24/12 2:01 am - Rochester, NY
 i would get it done asap.  i had mine done on 12/22 and i came home on christmas eve.  was the best present i could have given myself!  personally i would worry about gaining near the holidays and having that be an issue.

congrats on winning the appeal!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Kelly L.
on 10/24/12 2:05 am - San Jacinto, CA
CONGRATULATIONS! I would say, get your ducks in a row now.. Shopping ect. As far as the rest of it goes, you will be learning to make YOU a priority in your new life.. Might as well start that journey now schedule it.

HW 274. CW 129

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/24/12 2:20 am
Get it done now. And delegate. There is no earthly reason why you have to do everything. Other people can cook and shop. You can also shop online from the comfort of your home and have it shipped. Appoint a lieutenant to oversee the holiday party at work.

There are lots of ways to meet your obligations and have your surgery. I wouldn't put it off any longer. Put yourself first.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/24/12 2:24 am
I would wait until January - that way - if you meet your deductible for the year - you have one year to have any extra done... if needed... that is the practical me - who has to pay 2500+ for my iron infusions this year.  ouch.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PMarie
on 10/24/12 2:40 am - Bloomington, MN
 On the other hand, if you've met the deductible for this year, do it before year end- otherwise you could have a hefty deductible to meet right off the bat, and the full deductible will apply before BCBS pays anything- check your plan.

Sherrie P.
on 10/24/12 4:24 am
RNY on 02/06/13
My deductible runs July-June.. so I am good there!

I have a trip to Cancun in January.

I just want to make sure I am healed and good to travel for that element as well.

I like the idea of being smaller by then.  No adult beverages at the all inclusive for me! ha ha

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 10/24/12 2:50 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13
Yea!!! I am so happy for you!!! I am so impatient I would say go ahead and do it...all of the things you listed can be delegated or done from home. It is hard for most people to put themselves first  because we will like we are being selfish but I say...go for it!!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

xtine
on 10/24/12 4:20 am - San Jose, CA
I had my surgery just after Thanksgiving, last year. I did ALL of my Christmas shopping prior to surgery and am thankful that I did because I did not have any kind of shopping energy (which is totally not like me. I am a shopoholic!). I did wait to wrap presents until after surgery which was fine because I was pretty bored on medical leave.

Getting it done when I did was perfect for my life as my company has a major slowdown at this time of year, so the time off wasn't an issue. I took one week off before surgery (for a vacation right before surgery) and took 5 weeks off after. I probably could have gotten by with less time off but I was very sore still and took the time to get the lifestyle change down before returning to my stressful job.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

johnsoca
on 10/24/12 5:23 am - Madison, AL
I had my surgery on Dec. 13th. I had all my Christmas decorations up before surgery and most of my Christmas shopping done.  What I didn't have done, I did online while recuperating at home. Christmas dinner wasn't terribly exciting since I was still on liquids, but hey, it's just one meal. 

I've had surgeries in December twice and will probably have my gall bladder removed this December.  It just tends to work well for me to take off during December. December tends to be a lower volume month for us and it's generally pretty dead the week between Christmas and New Year's. Your mileage, of course, may vary. As far as your office Christmas party is concerned, I suspect someone else could fill in for you.  And this year could be your year for an intimate "immediate family only" Christmas, without out-of-town guests.

I'd say go ahead and do it in December. Remember, if you wait until January, you will most likely have to start over with your annual deductible that you have probably met for 2012. Just don't do it too close to Christmas.  You NEVER want to be in a hospital over a holiday if you can possibly help it. (I work in a hospital)

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics