Prepared for the Hurricane

Kat Kat
on 10/28/12 8:02 am, edited 10/28/12 8:04 am - AZ

Adapting to new ways of thinking can still be challenging after RNY. The impeding Frankenstorm heading our way here on the East Coast is an example. All my life when faced with severe weather conditions the 3 key supplies to make sure you had on hand were always Toilet Paper, Milk and Bread. BREAD....?!?!? ACK!!! Nope, none for this RNYer thank you very much. So now I have revamped my list of supplies, and thought I'd share them with anyone who might find these helpful.

I still stock up on the old standbys of Toilet paper, and Milk, but now I make sure to have almond milk on hand too because it keeps a long time, and needs no refrigeration. Bread and I mutually agreed to a divorce on April 15, 2011. I now date his cousin Coco Lites who never gets moldy or clingy (to my hips). I have plenty on hand with peanut butter which should feed me into Armageddon if necessary. I also stocked up on more items which I listed below.

Bottled water

Protein powder (mix with almond milk)

Jerky (they now make BACON Jerky…woot, woot!)

Almonds

Canned goods with high protein content (Canned chili and soups are in my pantry now).

Premixed Tuna in foil packs (I put this on Coco Lites too)

Sf Pudding packs

I’m a gum chewer (nuff said)

Also to be prepared, I put ice in the coolers to keep the refrigerated items longer if the power goes out. The Britta water pitcher is full as well as the bathtub with a bucket nearby. Bailey, my cat is all supplied up to and including toys. The gas tank is full, I have lots of candles, D batteries are in the radio, and flashlights are all working. The laundry is done, and I have a few good books on hand.

Now it’s time to wait, and hope that this storm changes its path, so I can save everything for the next disaster (minus the ice of course).

Feel free to add more to my emergency preparedness list. I’d be happy to see more ideas, and I think sharing is a great way for us to go forward successfully.

Best Wishes to those in the path of Hurricane Sandy,

Kat

vivking48
on 10/28/12 8:45 am - MN
RNY on 08/01/12

Be safe all.

Sonogrrl
on 10/28/12 8:47 am
RNY on 05/22/12

Thank you for turning me on to the Coco Lites, I eat with my lunch every day. I can't by them around here so I order them on Amazon, just which I didn't have to buy a whole case of 12 at a time! Oh well! Just the right crunch I need!

RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
Kat Kat
on 10/28/12 9:26 am - AZ

I'm so happy to know I was able to pay it forward, thanks for letting me know you liked my suggestion. On the Coco Lite website there is an option to buy 6 packages, but I'm not sure what their shipping cost is, so I don't know if there would be a significant savings or not. http://www.cocofoods.com/ . I love the crunch of them too, and they are just so handy to pack for lunch. Lately I've been spreading a little low fat garden vegetable Philadelphia cream cheese on the Maui Onion flavored ones, then I add a few slices of ham, and cheese. I spread all that with spicy mustard, and top it off  with a slice of tomato, lightly salted and peppered.

I think they're a lot better in an emergency food pantry for even people who haven't had WLS just because they keep longer.

Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/28/12 8:59 am, edited 10/28/12 4:00 pm - OH
I am in Ohio, so not in any danger, but I wanted to say what an excellent post this is. I am 5 years out, so am well-versed in what my pantry needs to hold in case of power outage or being snowed in for several days, but I bet there are a lot of people who are not as far out and have not given this any thought.

Both for emergency preparedness and general eating habits, my pantry ALWAYS contains:
- peanut butter
- canned nuts of some kind (usually almonds, sometimes cashews)
- whole grain crackers
- at least half a dozen bottles of water
- tuna (at least 3 containers, both in foil pack and cans since I use a manual can opener)
- soup (if you only have an electric can opener, you should buy ones with pop tops; if you are desperate, beef vegetable soups, etc. CAN be eaten at room temp)
- canned chicken
- a few cans of vegetables
- two containers of juice (e.g., V8, light cranberry combo juice, NSA apple juice) in large plastic jars or cans
- in my freezer I always have a few packages of vacuum sealed Honeybaked ham slices (if power goes out, the ham will defrost safely and can be eaten without needing cooking)

Now... did you say bacon jerky?!?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kat Kat
on 10/28/12 9:55 am - AZ

I love the freezing ham idea! I've always used a hand can opener, so I'm glad you brought up the pop-tops too.

Now for the bacon jerky info. It's called Wild Bills Bacon Jerky, and I found it at 7-11 when I was picking up ice. The calories, sodium, and fat are high, but it'll work well in an emergency.

Serving 1 oz

Calories: 150

Fat: 12 gr

Sodium: 580 mg

Carbs: 0

Sugar: 0

Protein: 7 gr

cajungirl
on 10/28/12 9:15 am
Tell us about this bacon jerky?

Great list, I usually have most of these things on hand living on the coast to prepare for hurricanes. I also keep canned chicken and meat & cheese stick and protein bars. I like to boil a few eggs (they keep well unrefrigerated for a few days) and mayo and mustard. We do keep bread for the boys and I'll eat a fold over sandwich occassionally.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Kat Kat
on 10/28/12 11:17 am - AZ

Protein bars...I have a bunch but never thought to add them.Great addition to the list!

Knowknews
on 10/28/12 9:17 am - OH

Thinking of you.  Be safe.  Thanks for the list.  NEVER thought of that. 

RNY 10/29/12   HW:  295   SW: 273    DGW: 170   MGW: 145

wmamey
on 10/28/12 9:22 am
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM Pacific Time, SexyKat wrote:

Adapting to new ways of thinking can still be challenging after RNY. The impeding Frankenstorm heading our way here on the East Coast is an example. All my life when faced with severe weather conditions the 3 key supplies to make sure you had on hand were always Toilet Paper, Milk and Bread. BREAD....?!?!? ACK!!! Nope, none for this RNYer thank you very much. So now I have revamped my list of supplies, and thought I'd share them with anyone who might find these helpful.

I still stock up on the old standbys of Toilet paper, and Milk, but now I make sure to have almond milk on hand too because it keeps a long time, and needs no refrigeration. Bread and I mutually agreed to a divorce on April 15, 2011. I now date his cousin Coco Lites who never gets moldy or clingy (to my hips). I have plenty on hand with peanut butter which should feed me into Armageddon if necessary. I also stocked up on more items which I listed below.

Bottled water

Protein powder (mix with almond milk)

Jerky (they now make BACON Jerky…woot, woot!)

Almonds

Canned goods with high protein content (Canned chili and soups are in my pantry now).

Premixed Tuna in foil packs (I put this on Coco Lites too)

Sf Pudding packs

I’m a gum chewer (nuff said)

Also to be prepared, I put ice in the coolers to keep the refrigerated items longer if the power goes out. The Britta water pitcher is full as well as the bathtub with a bucket nearby. Bailey, my cat is all supplied up to and including toys. The gas tank is full, I have lots of candles, D batteries are in the radio, and flashlights are all working. The laundry is done, and I have a few good books on hand.

Now it’s time to wait, and hope that this storm changes its path, so I can save everything for the next disaster (minus the ice of course).

Feel free to add more to my emergency preparedness list. I’d be happy to see more ideas, and I think sharing is a great way for us to go forward successfully.

Best Wishes to those in the path of Hurricane Sandy,

Kat

Oh, I am hunkered down and ready with much of what you have listed. However, because of everyone else in this house I have to have the standard, "french toast" making (milk, bread, eggs) as well. I will sip on my protein soup while they eat their french toast, lol!! I will also have to venure out in tomorrow for work. Unfortunatel, I am allowed to travel in a state of emergency, or they will come get me!
Thanks for the post!!