Psychiatric Evaluation ???

lumina99
on 11/11/12 1:53 pm - ME

I am set to have my Psych eval on Friday. I`m kind of excited and a bit nervous. Should I be? What will happen in there? Can you share your experiences with me??

bigtreats
on 11/11/12 3:18 pm - TX
RNY on 11/20/12
Mine was simple and laid back. He asked my questions about my childhood, goals in life, my expectations of the surgery, answered any questions I had...that's pretty much it! Easy breezy! You're nervous for nothing...lol
CarolF3
on 11/11/12 4:03 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

Mine was OK I had filed out quite a few pages of questions ahead of time and handed it in to him. Then he asked questions. it went well.

Carol

Jennifk
on 11/11/12 4:59 pm - Fort Worth, TX
RNY on 12/05/12

I believe there's a huge variation in the psych evals.  My surgeon gave about 6-8 questions for me to take to a therapist of my choice.  The therapist then asked me the questions.  Such as... what are your plans for after the surgery? Why did you choose to have the surgery?

My thoughts were that the eval was just to ween out the true looneys not in touch with reality.

No worries!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Bellaluna468
on 11/11/12 5:23 pm
RNY on 10/26/12
Mine was about 300 questions on the computer, many repeated and asked different ways....trying to determine if you are ready for the changes you want to make, if you have support, have any abuse issues, and a complete understanding that you need to change your life beyond the surgery.

After completing the questions on the computer, the Psychologist spoke with me for 20 min.

Really...it sounds so much worse than it is.

The surgery can drastically change your life...friends, family, self esteem...support is key.

losing-lisa
on 11/12/12 9:33 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12

Mine was the same as this one - very easy and not scary at all!

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

Pittsteelers
on 11/11/12 5:43 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I talked to doc about 15. He asked if I had support at home, then asked what other weight loss programs I have tried. He mentioned ones I never heard of. Then I was off to do computer questions. Just like bellaluma, they were repeat questions just asked in different ways.

JanBooth
on 11/11/12 7:06 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Years ago, I began the process of surgery and had a psych eval that included a written "test" with lots of questions that were repeated and reworded.  The psychiatrist, maybe psychologist...I don't remember what she was...was very intimidating and made me uncomfortable.  I left feeling like I didn't "pass".  lol  Of course, I wasn't really ready for surgery, at that time, so maybe that was my internal feeling rather than something from her. 
This time, I knew I was ready.  The psych eval was altogether different.  The psychologist was a very sweet, quiet woman who just asked about my reasons for having surgery, a few questions about my childhood relationship with foods, and much about my support system and family in my home. 
I agree with an above post that they want to kind of weed out the crazies, and/or people who are not really ready to take on this major life change. 
If you are truly ready to make positive changes, you'll do fine.  Relax and be honest. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Michelle G.
on 11/11/12 7:51 pm - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

Mine took about 2 hours. I did a ton of questions on the computer then I sat and talked with the psychologist for about an hour. We talked about my weight, food issues, goals, family life and past.  It was actually very helpful for me to know why I ended up the way I did.

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Bellaluna468
on 11/11/12 9:02 pm
RNY on 10/26/12
Another thing they try to sort out is if you have addiction issues...transference of addictions like to alcohol, sex, gambling, shopping is possible when you remove the food addiction.

They really want to help you succeed and help with any issues you may encounter.

Most Active
Recent Topics