WHAT????? You can't eat THAT!!!

BamaBelleAmy70
on 11/20/12 11:09 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Hi!

Please calm my fears. I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I have lost 33 pounds so far. First, it that normal or not enough?? I am SO scared that if I eat REAL food (I am starting the stage after soft foods so I can gradually add different foods) that the weight will not come off. I am afraid the weight will stall and once again like time and time before...I will fail at losing weight AGAIN! I am SO impressed by how so many of you have lost so much weight but I am so scared that it won't happen for me. I feel so much pressure to lose the weight because of the surgery and I feel my family expects it. Please tell me I am being nuts. My hubby is SO supportive but he doesn't really understand. I am so discouraged! 

Today I ate:

Breakfast- Yogurt

Lunch- 1/2 filet of grilled fish, greens beans 6-7 small bites, and about 3 bites of potato

Supper- 1/2 filet of grilled fish, greens beans 6-7 bites, and about 3 bites of potato

Snacks- Sugar free pudding and cheese stick

Is that TOO much food? I am so scared I am eating too much but my hubby says I am not eating anything. My NUT said I HAVE to eat real food. I can't live off of protein shakes and pudding. 

Please help!! Any ideas, comments, or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! This forum is such a great help to me!

Amy

shannona2
on 11/20/12 11:21 am
I'm 7 wks out. I'm a newbie too Just make sure to get in your required fluid and protein and you will do fine. Stay positive!!
manda2108
on 11/20/12 11:26 am

We all have fears of regain or failure of some sort I believe. 33 lbs is fantastic..it looks like our weights were similar my HW was 280 and my SW was 266. If you keep following your surgeons plan you will be successful, and if you use this time and your surgeons guidelines to develop a healthy way of looking at food and adopt a new healthy lifestyle you will be successful. As far as if you are eating the right amounts..once again it has a lot to do with your surgeons plan. At four weeks out I was still on pureed so you are having more than I did at that time...but it doesn't mean that its not right. Do you track your food online? I use myfitnesspal and my name is manda91003 over there if you want to add me. Congrats on your success so far!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/20/12 11:27 am

33 lbs in 4 weeks is AWESOME!  You will have big loss weeks and small/no loss weeks.  It happens so don't sweat it.

Food:  Looks good.  It's not enough protein so you can supplement with protein shakes.  I found fish easy to eat early after surgery. Try new foods and see what you tolerate.  Usually you can tell after the first bite if it will sit well. 

Winnie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/12 11:31 am - OH

You are still very early out, so I would suggest dropping the 3 bites of potato in favor of three more bites of protein.  You really aren't getting any nutrition from the potato and you can eat so little that you NEED as much protein as you can get in.  How many grams of protein are you getting in?  Are you adding any protein powder to the SF pudding?  You don't need to "live off of" protein supplements, but you do need to focus very closely on getting as much protein as possible and sometimes that means staying with a shake a day to boost the protein for a while and/or adding protein powder into other things (to "hide" it).

The fear of real food is understandable, but look at all the people here who ALL lost large amounts of weight eating REAL food.  We ALL failed at diet after diet before our surgeries, yet have lost weight (or are currently losing weight) following our post-op eating plan with real food. Why would you be different?

Relax, focus on your protein, avoid "white foods" as much as possible, and get your vitamins and fluids in.  If you do that, you WILL be successful at losing, and if you truly adopt a new, healthier way of eating following those guidelines, you will be successful at maintaining the weight loss.  In the end, the eating habits you are working to develop now are far more important to your ability to KEEP the weight off than anything else (including pouch size).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

garnetgal
on 11/20/12 11:33 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

Remember that the average RNY patient loses 3 to 5 pounds per week, so having lost 33 pounds in 4 weeks is way above average!!!! Good job! Eating real food will not make you stop losing weight as long as it is the food you should be eating. Protein first, then if there's any room some veggies. Let's break your meals down for protein... 1/2 filet of grilled fish is approximately 32 grams of protein, the s/f pudding has about 4 grams of protein (if you didn't add any protein powder to it) and a cheese stick has about 8 grams. So, you are at about 76 grams of protein. At 4 weeks that is pretty good! As you are able to eat a little more, you want to get your protein up to about 100 grams or more a day. I personally do this by trying to have a minimum of 25 grams of protein per regular meal and at least 10 grams of protein per snack so that I average 105 grams of protein per day. However, some of my "main" meals have more than 25 grams so many days I'm realistically at about 120 grams of protein per day. I would also be careful of the potatoes, they are a simple carb. I do eat a couple of bites of potatoes once in a while, maybe once or twice a month, but NEVER twice in one day! You are doing great! Just work the program your surgeon has given you and you will lose weight! Don't panic and the only thing you should be worrying about is learning good eating habits! Remember to read your nutrition labels. Personally, I shop the perimeter of the store... vegetables, fruits, meats, dairy and try to stay away from the processed foods in the middle store.

cajungirl
on 11/20/12 12:12 pm
Your weight loss is fantastic. You can eat more then I could at 4 weeks out but it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. We are all different with different plans.

Focus on protein first that's the important thing right now along with getting your fluids in. I also suggest ditching the potato for more protein.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Larry Wassmann
on 11/20/12 1:03 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

In looking at what you said your were eating everything looks fine to me, but like someone else said, lay off the potatoes for now. And Please stop measuring in bites. A bite can be a lot or not enough. Get a scale and weigh everything you put in your mouth and write it down. Start this habit now and do not stop for the rest of your life. It is the one thing you can do to make sure you are having enough food or maybe too much food. A bite is a poor way to keep track. I know I could put an 8 oz bite in my big mouth. But you are doing just great and keep it up. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

shastadaisy68
on 11/20/12 4:12 pm

every dr is different but for about 9 months my dr says NO potato corn or peas.

KatMom
on 11/21/12 12:41 am
RNY on 07/24/12
At 4 weeks I was only on pureed foods. I'm 4 months out now and eating what you say you are eating now. Reading posts on this forum I've noticed so many different ways that wls doctors want their patients to follow as far as foods to eat, priorities, calories to maintain etc., you just have to keep to your own personal diet instructions and you will be fine.

We are all so different and its hard to compare with others here. You are doing fine, stay strong!
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views