Getting the shakes and blurred vision.

ohlordyp
on 11/30/12 11:55 pm - AZ

I had my surgery a little over a year ago. I have started getting the shakes really bay and have had some blurred vision. Has anyone else had these symptoms? I went to the doctor and she is sending my for the glucose tolorence test. Has anyone had this since their bypass? If so how was it?

Priscilla     
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/12 12:19 am

When are you having the labs done?  Did they happen to test you there in the office to see if your numbers were low?  Because low numbers are much more dangerous than highs when it comes to your blood sugar.  Let us know when you get it done and what the results are. Did your doctor tell you what to do if this happens again in the meantime? It sounds like you could have Reactive Hypoglycemia which does happen to patients after WLS.  I am hoping the girls out there that have it will post here because the can help you better than I can.  They have the correct information on this.  Take care, Jane

poet_kelly
on 12/1/12 2:50 am - OH

Yeah, sounds like it could be low blood sugar.  Why not just test your blood sugar when it happens?

You don't dump, do you?  There's no way I could do the glucose tolerance test, I'd dump something awful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/1/12 4:20 am - Windsor, Canada

Noooooooo. Don't do the GTT.   I passed out during mind.  

Get a Glucometer and test blood sugar.  That's how you'll learn about your RH.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/12 8:17 am, edited 12/1/12 8:17 am

It means that my blood sugar is low. Usually it means I haven't eaten, or I had coffee for breakfast and nothing else.. the caffeine on an empty stomach will cause my blood sugar to drop fast. I don't get blurred vision, mine gets amazing sharp and crisp, especially colors. They get vivid. But I get shakey and feel like I have to sit down or I'll fall over. A little fruit juice and something whole grain brings it up for me quickly.

Those glucose tolerance tests are a bad idea for us. I'd probably go into a coma in about 5 minutes.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/1/12 8:33 am

I had a glucose tolerance test when I was pregnant.  But after RNY may not be wise.  Does you doc know about the RNY or is he/she aware of dumping.  It does sound like RH, reactive hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.  I agree with the others of testing you blood sugar when you feel this way.  It is probably low.

Winnie

MultiMom
on 12/1/12 9:31 am - NH

The last thing I would do is take a GTT if I even suspected that I had Reactive Hypoglycemia!! The huge amounts of sugar in the test would cause a severe crash.

Reactive Hypoglycemia is not uncommon after RNY, and it usually starts after one year out, I have a fairly bad time with it and am now on a medication to help me. I do have some printed information that I would be happy to email to you if you PM me your email address. You can also do a Google search on "reactive hypoglycemia after gastric bypass" and you will find loads of information including symptoms.

Before you do a glucose tolerance test, ask your doc about a blood sugar meter to see where your blood sugar levels are when you have one of these spells. Most people that have RH are able to control it with dietary changes.

Martha 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

buggirl44
on 12/1/12 9:31 am

I work for a company who makes blood glucose monitoring meters.  You can get one for free at a doctors office and the sample comes with 10 cts of strips. that is enough to test yourself to see if you are low.  Our company has a program called FreeStyle Promise.  I previously ran hypo regularly and had to test frequently (and I am not a person with diabetes).

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 236 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views