frustrated and sad

Jules0225
on 1/13/13 7:59 am
Kind of long... venting concerns plus some questions...

So I will be 8 weeks post tomorrow. I document my weight loss based on my weight on Friday mornings even though I can be obsessive and weigh myself almost every day. So a week and a hal*****he scale was down to 336lbs. Now it's weighing me at 358-360lbs. My mom got on the scale and it was accurate for her. Is this even possible? I certainly don't look like I have gained 20lbs. I go to the gym at least 3 or 4 times a week. I've been getting 50g of proteins at minimum a day and drink a ton of water. I can't imagine overnight gaining that much weight is possible. What is so bothersome is that now I feel like I was lied to and lying to myself. I was so excited when I got below 340lbs cuz it meant I hit 100lbs lost (51pre 49post). I'm really sad. I've been struggling with food lately too. I hate eating and don't want it to turn into some sort of disorder. I just can't seem to find things that I like that I am able to successfully eat. Chicken is a big no no for the most part. Beef i**** and miss. Wendy's chilli goes down fine along with flounder and I buy this 4oz fresh crab cake from the fish counter at the grocery store. The usual greek yogurt and string cheese is ok.. any kind of cheese actually. I'm not a big fan of eggs but will scramble one up once in a while.

Oh also, I have bought a couple of lean cuisine meals in the last couple of weeks. I avoid the pasta entree's and go for ones high in protein. So I tried the ranch club panini because I had it pre op and liked it. The sandwhich was about 6 -6.5 oz and I was able to eat it all over like 20-30 mins. Is that normal? I measure my food and generally try to stick to about 1/2c. Sorry this post is all over the place.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Jules0225
on 1/13/13 8:08 am
Oh I did want to add on a positive note.. I have lost a substantial amount of weight regardless. I have dropped from a 30/32 or 4x pants to a 26 or 2x. Happy little NSV: anyone who shops at Lane Bryant knows their jean line sizes from 0-10 now and have been for some time. Years ago I bought a pair in size 8 which I believe to be a 26? I couldn't even get them over my ass. I stumbled upon them a few days ago and they fit comfortably.

So not everything is bad. I know this. However it's still frustrating.

Heidi T.
on 1/13/13 8:17 am
RNY on 01/31/12

Congrats on your NSV weight can change daily. I know that I stepped on my scale one day and I had lost 50lbs turns out there was a toothpaste cap under the scale. Yup that was a bit of a blow but I knew that it could not be possible anyway. No worries the weight will come off and you will have that lower weight soon. 

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/13/13 8:11 am
Get new batteries for the scale.

There are tons of great foods out there to try, but Lean Cuisine is filled with chemicals. Try bariatricfoodie and theworldaccordingtoeggface for tons of wls friendly recipes.

Chin up. Work your plan and you will lose. Take care

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

texan gal
on 1/13/13 8:19 am
RNY on 02/29/12

Hi, Jules!

Sorry you're having a rough time right now.   But, I can guarantee that you didn't gain 20+ pounds of fat in one week.  After RNY, there's just no way you could eat that much, especially only 8 weeks out!  :)

My best guess is that you're retaining water for some reason.  Are you weight training at the gym?  If so, your muscles may be retaining water as they repair themselves.  Where are you in your "cycle"?  A lot of ladies gain extra water weight around that time.  (I'm making an assumption about your gender, of course... haha!)

Finally, those pre-packaged meals are the devil, in my opinion.  No matter how "healthy" you try to be with them, they always have a lot of sodium.. (560 mg for the LC Southwest Chicken Panini; 700 mg for the LC Spinach, Artichoke, & Chicken Panini...couldn't find the Ranch Club Panini on the LC website).   If you're taking in a lot of sodium, you're going to retain water.  

My advice:  keep your chin up; keep going to the gym; keep drinking lots of water..... and ditch the frozen meals.   

Good luck - you're doing great!!

Jules0225
on 1/13/13 8:35 am
I am like right in the middle of my cycle. Like day 16/17. I just started weight training at 6 weeks post but was extremely sore in my.abdomen so decided to hold off. Was going to start back up this week. I figured I might be retaining water but ugh a 20lb difference? It's definately messing with my head. The LC have been a last resort for me on days where I've had trouble trying to eat other things. I will just cut them out all together though. I do watch my sodium intake since I had hypertension and don't want to retain water. Sometimes I just think "man I wish I could eat whatever I want" not because I want junk but like for example I LOVE salad. I ate a lot of salad and veggies in the months leading up to surgery... hence losing 51lbs... but yeah.. my pouch gets angry. I have checked out bariatricfoodie. The other site I keep seeing people post about, then when I'm on my computer I forget about it. Lol. Anyway thanks, as always, for all the wonderful support. You guys are great.

BWB
on 1/13/13 8:48 am

A twenty pound gain would be a shock!  Have you had a talk with your doctors staff?  I don't think you should be eating the packaged food.  I agree with another poster about the sodium and that cold cause your water retention.  

Joyceebaby
on 1/13/13 8:59 am
RNY on 11/29/12

No amount of sodium is going to cause a 20lb water weight gain.  If you truly gained 20lbs in a week, I'd advise you to call and report it to your surgeon.  I don't know your age or your health history, but 20lbs of water gain in that short of a period sets off alarm bells for something health related, not "weight" related.  

Take it easy on yourself...this is a long journey and we are in it for the long haul :)  (Your surgery date was my orginal date, but had to be moved back 10 days, but we're pretty close still.)  Hang in there.  Hope to hear a good report soon :)

apurdie
on 1/13/13 2:50 pm - CA

I vote for a new scale!  I did gain 25 lbs in one week after a cruise, but not eating like you are now.  Sounds impossible.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 117 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?