thoughts on gluten?

Jules0225
on 1/14/13 1:09 pm

My local grocery store had a huge gluten free section. What are you thoughts on maybe incorporating more gluten free items in my diet?

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

qnmimi
on 1/14/13 2:04 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

Lot of people swear they feel better eating gluten free, and even better if you are intolerant by chance.  I've had some products,  my brother-in-law works for a bakery company that makes some items for other stores, and they are nummy, but calorie and carb counts are pretty much the same as products that contain gluten.  For what carbs, etc you chose to eat, sure can't hurt you!!  I say go for it.

artroxy blue
on 1/14/13 8:15 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

It probably won't hurt, but read labels carefully. Quite a few GF foods are higher in carbs because they use a combo of flours (rice, potato, tapioca, etc.).  You may need to try different ones to find products that agree with your pouch. Good luck!

BellaNY
on 1/14/13 8:42 pm

I have been gluten-free for more than 10 years, due to celiac disease (an autoimmune disease where you can't have wheat, barley, rye, etc). The main problem with a GF breads and other baked items is the lack of fiber. Most of it is much higher in carbohydrates. It is also more expensive. Those of us on long-term GF diets do best when we eat naturally GF foods (meat, veggies, dairy) and stay away from a lot of the breads and pastries. I would stick to whole grain breads and think that is a better choice for someone who isn't sensitive to gluten.

artroxy blue
on 1/14/13 9:38 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Well said! 

My nephew is on a specialized diet to keep his autism in check, and being GF is one of things he has to adhere to. He doesn't have celiac, but he is gluten sensitive. 

Kim S.
on 1/14/13 10:39 pm - Helena, AL

I do not believe there are any benefits to a GF diet unless you are specifically sensitive to gluten.  Although some folks swear they "feel better"....but that could be a placebo effect.

Several months ago I did some research on the subject of "is gluten free better for non-gluten sensitive people" and I could not fine any conclusive findings to support that theory.

scarlettbegonias
on 1/15/13 9:15 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Our house is GF, one child has to be for ASD reasons so the whole house is, I've noticed a change in everyone- there are 5 of us- everyone's "change" has been different things.

we don't purchase gluten free breads etc but my kids do eat rice crackers and occasional biscuits that are GF( most I make but lately we've bought stuff)

if your interested in going GF there's a fantastic book called wheat belly by William Davis which goes into why there has been such a HUGE rise in gluten intolerance, it makes a lot of sense.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 246 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics