Per my surgeon's request...

MBallard
on 1/17/13 1:11 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

Before I write this post, I know a lot of you are most likely going to tell me to listen to my surgeons orders. However; he told me beginning today (21 days before my surgery) I should start taking 4 flinstones vitamins a day as well as B12 twice a day. Have any of you had to begin a similar regimen before your surgery?? I just have never heard this before. (In regards to the flinstones vitamins, no worries, I bought Bariatric Advantage vitamins and I plan to begin taking those right after surgery.)

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

robyn_fresh
on 1/17/13 1:18 am
RNY on 12/18/12

yup, my surgeon wanted me to start the vitamins pre-op too

MBallard
on 1/17/13 1:19 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

All of the vitamins? including calcium and D3?

MsBatt
on 1/17/13 1:34 am

I've read studies that say that most women should be taking calcium, and that most people in North America are seriously low of D. So yeah, getting started on your vites now can help you heal after surgery.

grmadeb01
on 1/17/13 1:27 am - FL

yep, my dr wanted me on calcium and a good multi before surgery....doesnt hurt to get your levels up before surgery..

have a blessed day

debby

artroxy blue
on 1/17/13 1:29 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I didn't have to start a vitamin regimen before surgery since I was already taking vitamins. After surgery, I switched to my bariatric vitamins and supplements. 

poet_kelly
on 1/17/13 1:33 am - OH

I started my vitamins a couple weeks before surgery.  Makes sense to me to get in the best shape possible. 

Why does he recommend B12 twice a day?  Why not just take a larger dose once a day?  We can absorb huge amounts of it at a time - in fact, some people only take it a couple times a week.  It's fine to take a small dose multiple times a day if you prefer to do it that way, but it seems like most people like fewer pills to take, not more pills.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 1/17/13 1:37 am - Rochester, NY

Mine had me do it all along, so we started getting into the habit for after surgery.  They wanted us to get as many good habits learned before surgery and the massive adjustments.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

wmamey
on 1/17/13 1:54 am
RNY on 06/18/12
On January 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM Pacific Time, MBallard wrote:

Before I write this post, I know a lot of you are most likely going to tell me to listen to my surgeons orders. However; he told me beginning today (21 days before my surgery) I should start taking 4 flinstones vitamins a day as well as B12 twice a day. Have any of you had to begin a similar regimen before your surgery?? I just have never heard this before. (In regards to the flinstones vitamins, no worries, I bought Bariatric Advantage vitamins and I plan to begin taking those right after surgery.)

It's important to have an adequate storage of vitamins before surgery. After surgery you are going to rely alot on your vitamin reserves. In the early post op days we are not taking in enough nutrients for survival and your body will start to tap into the stored vitamin supply. Taking the vitamins preop gives more of a reserve to be used early post op.

MBallard
on 1/17/13 2:05 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
Ahh very good point!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?